Questions about Retrospect and "clients"

Retrospect Desktop enables the user to perform backups of the machine hosting the Retrospect software and two other machines on the same local network. Is it correct that the Retrospect Desktop software is installed on only one machine? And that the other two machines don't need anything installed?

Another question: If I need to back up data on a machine that is running OS X Server over a network, then Retrospect Server is the ONLY solution, correct?

Can I install Retrospect Desktop on a machine running OS X Server and back up the contents of that Server plus 2 clients on the local network? Or, will Desktop only run on machines running non-Server versions of OS X?

Quote:

Is it correct that the Retrospect Desktop software is installed on only one machine?

Yes. The Retrospect program and supporting tidbits are installed on the machine that is creating the backups. It can back up itself and can back up "client" machines on the network. The difference between the different versions (Desktop, Workgroup, Server) is how many clients can be added and the type of machine on which the Retrospect program can run, and whether tape autoloaders and libraries are supported. See page 10 of the User's Guide for a chart:

Retrospect 6.0/6.1 User's Guide

Also, here are the release notes for Retrospect 6.1, explaining the changes from Retrospect 6.0 (which is what the User's Guide covers):

Retrospect 6.1 release notes

Quote:

And that the other two machines don't need anything installed?

No. A "client" program is installed on the client machines. There are clients for Linux, Windows, MacOS X, and MacOS Classic. Perhaps this list of the components will help:

Retrospect updates

See page 11 of the User's Guide for information about installing Retrospect on the backup machine. See pages 91 and 92 for information about installing the client software, which chats with the Retrospect program to accomplish the backup. Page 25 discusses Clients briefly.

Quote:

Can I install Retrospect Desktop on a machine running OS X Server and back up the contents of that Server plus 2 clients on the local network?

No. See the chart on page 10 of the User's Guide. You have to have Retrospect Workgroup or Server to install on Mac OS X Server.

Quote:

Or, will Desktop only run on machines running non-Server versions of OS X?

Correct.

But I'll have to confess that I am a bit confused about your questions. Your post on January 27, 2006, indicated that you have been running Retrospect 6.1 since November 2005. You should have all of this documentation, and should be familiar with the Retrospect code that is installed on the backup machine:

Retrospect 6.1 and Quicktime 7.0.4

Whatever, hope this helps clear things up.

Russ

Quote:

But I'll have to confess that I am a bit confused about your questions. Your post on January 27, 2006, indicated that you have been running Retrospect 6.1 since November 2005. You should have all of this documentation, and should be familiar with the Retrospect code that is installed on the backup machine:

Whatever, hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks.

Retrospect is working great for me (on one machine, backing up one machine. Although I have had some media-related problems. The QT problems vanished when I switched away from CD media.). However, I am investigating its use for a friend who has a LAN and is interested in its server/network capabilities. I have no direct experience in that area, thus the questions.

It sounds like you believe my year-old+ docs are still pretty reliable and may offer some explanations about these features--- I'll try and scrape my docs up.

Once again, thanks.