execution error

I have a customer that is running version 3.5 and had an former employee that decided she was going to upgrade the G3 Blue and White to X. She did backup the whole machine before she did this, but the media is CD and it was done on a SCSI drive and she did one huge backup which took nine total CDs. The problem is, once I found the CDs and tried to recatalog them, it takes almost nine hours and gets all the way to the end and has an execution error of three files and says that it failed. Is there a way to make it do an incomplete catalog because eighty percent of this companies files from the last six years are on those CDs?????????

I was incorrect of the version of Retrospect. It is 4.0 and the log file issues the error message 206, Trouble reading: "7-storageset A"

Trouble positioning: "7-storageset A"

It went on to say that the disc media could be dirty or bad. The only thing I can think to do is clean the CD with some cleaner and try it again, but it takes nine hours the way the think is backed up just to see if it makes it. I have not found a way to at least get the other eight discs cataloged because this customers whole business base is on there.

Brad

You may have a bad disk - try marking Member 7 missing through Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Members Tab.

Which CD burner are you using? Please list Vendor, Product and Version as listed by Retrospect under Configure > Devices > Device Status

Please check the Dantz Hardware Search Engine to ensure that you are using a supported drive. www.dantz.com/hardware

With a 206 error, the first thing you want to try is a new disc. If the new disc works, then the disc you are seeing the error with is bad. If you see the error on all discs, you can look into the following possibilities:

1) another device on your SCSI bus is interfering with the CD-RW drive's communication. Turn off your Mac and the SCSI devices. Make sure your SCSI ID numbers don't conflict. Disconnect all SCSI devices except for the CD-RW drive.

2) you have a bad cable. Replace the SCSI cable that connects the CD-RW drive to the computer after removing other devices and cables from the SCSI chain.

3) you are missing a terminator or have a bad terminator. The last device and ONLY the last device in your SCSI chain needs to be terminated. Try replacing the terminator if you already have one on the chain.

4) the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another Macintosh and try the CD-RW drive there as the only SCSI device.

5) the drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple discs after changing cables, terminators and computers, then the drive, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs.

The burner is a Ricoh MP6200S. I have not tried it on another Mac yet, but I am in the process of doing just that now. I don't think I can tell Retrospect that 7 is missing because there is not catalog there to configure. Some other company came in there and burned the computer to the ground and didn't copy the catalogs to a disk, so they all have to be recreated. Is there a way to tell it that 7 is missing in the process of recataloging?

Thanks

Yes, when you rebuild the catalog, you can tell Retrospect that member 7 is unavailable.

Ricoh recommends you use media from the following manufacturers only: Ricoh, Kao, Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui Toatsu, TDK, and Kodak.

This drive was not supported natively with Retrospect 4.0 - a driver update was required. Please make sure you download the newest version from:

www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=download_software#MP

This drive also requires a minimum firmware version of 1.20 for compatibility with Retrospect. You can check your version by going to Configure > Devices > Device Status. The version listed is your firmware version. Updates can be obtained through Ricoh.

Archived