Can't use Open File Backup option for ... error -1017 (insufficient permissions) woes

Eleanor

My internal hard drive is divided into several logical drives (C:, D:, P:, X: - you get the idea). I've selected all of them to be backed up to an external hard drive. I'm running Windows XP Pro with administrative granted to my user account, and Retrospect 6.5 Professional. I get this "insufficient permissions" error message all the time, for each of the drives - for example:

Can't use Open File Backup option for AllDataDesk (D:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

- 11/23/2006 8:14:15 PM: Copying AllDataDesk (D:)

11/23/2006 8:16:16 PM: Snapshot stored, 4,825 KB

11/23/2006 8:16:18 PM: Comparing AllDataDesk (D:)

11/23/2006 8:16:23 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 14 files, 17.1 MB

Performance: 683.0 MB/minute (1024.6 copy, 512.3 compare)

Duration: 00:02:08 (00:02:03 idle/loading/preparing)

So, since the message reads "execution completed successfully" I think the backup worked anyway. So WHY do I always get these aggrevating "insufficient permissions" messages??

Also, I was wondering if I need to have "Volume Shadow Copy" services turned on to insure that my Outlook database gets backed up properly???

Usually you do not need to manually start up these services.

To back up the outlook 2003 files in your local machine, you can try to check the "Force backup of Microsoft Outlook Data" box of "Windows>Outlook" option in the option window of a immediate backup or a script backup.(I am not sure if Retrospect6.5 has this feature, since I am using v7.5.)

Hi Eleanor,

I would recommend against using the "Force backup of Outlook data" for the time being, as it is not necessary in this situation.

For the time being, your backups are completing succesfully. However, the option to use open file backup is failing on drive D: and you would not be able to backup any open files, if any were present.

If files were not being backed up because they were in use at the time of backup, each open file would be listed in your operations log accompanied by the error "(path/file) can't read file, error -1020 (sharing violation)".

I suggest you check your Windows Event Viewer for errors related to VSS, this is the Microsoft service Retrospect employs to access open files, and there may be something particular about drive D: that is preventing its use.