Easier selectors for matching aboslute path with wildcards?

I'm back to using Retrospect after a hiatus.

There are certain directories I want to exclude from all backups. I want to match these directories, with wildcards, independent of the (sub)volume being backed up. (In other words, some backup sets back up the entire machine, others just /Users.)

In SuperDuper! I'd match these with the rule

ignore /Users/*/Music

ignore /Users/*/tmp

How can I get this functionality in Retrospect (without false positives)?

How can I quickly test the selector? (It appears that I must do a full disk scan to validate the selector. While this gives me a complete world view, it is also incredibly time consuming while trying to get things right.)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Retrospect supports "*" and "?" wildcards as the absolute path matching conditions when you define your own selector.

Please go to Configure>Selectors>New, you can add your matching rules via the Windows(FAT/NTFS)>Path option. And then choose the ""Check Selector" icon(a tick icon) from the selector toolbar to specify a volume/subvolume to check your selector.

Hope it helps.

Yingqing

Quote:

Retrospect supports "*" and "?" wildcards as the absolute path matching conditions when you define your own selector.

Please go to Configure>Selectors>New, you can add your matching rules via the Windows(FAT/NTFS)>Path option.

Yingqing,

I'm running on Mac OS X (Retrospect 6.1.). There is no "Windows(FAT/NTFS)>Path option". Is there equivalent functionality on the Mac side?

Quote:

And then choose the ""Check Selector" icon(a tick icon) from the selector toolbar to specify a volume/subvolume to check your selector.

Hope it helps.

Yingqing

The Mac version has a Check Selector command, but it scans the entire volume/subvolume which makes for painfully slow testing. I know this is the only way to get the complete picture, but when trying to build a selector, testing against an individual file/folder for a quick check would be extremely useful.

Quote:

testing against an individual file/folder for a quick check would be extremely useful

Easy; simply define the folder you want to test against as a Retrospect Subvolume. You'll be able to select it when you invoke the "Check Selector" menu command.

Yingqing is likely discussing features in the Windows version of the product. The Mac version does not have as rich a feature set.

Dave

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the mistake I made, windows version of Retrospect has the feature to use "*" and "?" mildcards.

For mac version, Retrospect does not support the wildcards, but it has the "Folder path name" match patern. I think maybe you can use some combined matching conditions to reach your goals.

You can read this article for some hints: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5196&p=2