pitond 100% CPU after backup

I've seen numerous cases on my MacBook Pro where pitond takes 50% of two CPUs (= 100% of one CPU) after a backup has completed. Retrospect Client gives a status of "Connected" in this situation. What's interesting is that I actually have two pitond processes running. One with 254 threads at < 1% CPU and 13MB real mem, and the one at 100% with 1 thread and 240KB real mem. If I use the "command-off-button" trick, it kills the one that was at 1% and hangs. I kill the 100% one and the Client comes back. I start it back up again and everything is fine with one process at <1% with 7 threads and 5MB real mem.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Thanks,

. John

I have seen the same on two different MBP machines. One was consuming both CPUs per the Activity Monitor, the other one of the two CPUs. The other note is that VM usage was ing th GB range.

We must now watch Activity Monitor routinely and kill pitond when it consumes resources after a backup.

We must also routinely restart the Retrospect service as it turns itself off during the normal course of events. This mitigates the pitond issue as we tend to know when backups take place (because they won't take place unless we turn Retrospect Client on again...).

We have also reached the point where we 'push' backup (synchronize) with the server on a daily basis (with a different product), relegating Retrospect for weekly ('pull') backups only.

Quote:

I've seen numerous cases on my MacBook Pro where pitond takes 50% of two CPUs (= 100% of one CPU) after a backup has completed.

- Has the backup completed successfully?

- Is Retrospect still connected to the Client when the resources are being used this way?

> We must also routinely restart the Retrospect service as it turns

>itself off during the normal course of events.

That's pretty vague, but if "normal course of events" includes waking a Macbook back that went to sleep while connected via AirPort, it's a known issue that the Retrospect OS X Client software can't bind to a NIC, and so can't start.