Retrospect Pro Launcher Service

jimmysin

Hello

I am using Retrospect Pro (Latest Updates and Version). I have an issue with the launcher service not launching. I have Windows XP Pro…service pack 2. Retrospect will not launch Automatically. I have tried some of the solutions that I have found on Google like trying the launcher service off and then a reboot them back on again reboot etc.

Does anyone have any other idea’s

Jim

I wrote about the same problem here. Note that I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 (fully patched).

I get around this problem with the following script:

@echo off

title Restore Retrospect system tray icon

net stop retrolauncher

net start retrolauncher

Put those lines into a .CMD-file. Then either place a shortcut to that file in your Startup folder or run the .CMD-file as a logon script.

I'm very curious about why more people haven't brought up this problem in this forum. Perhaps it only affects a small number of Retrospect users?

HTH.

regards, Andy

Thanks Andy

Not being a computer wizard....where do a place the newly created .cmd file for it to execute properly? I know that you had mentioned to place a shortcut of the file in my startup folder ( that I have done), but where does the original newly created .cmd file go.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hi, Jim.

You can place the .CMD-file in any subdirectory you want.

FYI, to set it up as a logon script, place the file here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon

Then, start up the Group Policy editor at the command line:

gpedit.msc

Navigate to User Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts (Logon/Logoff), double-click Logon, then click Add... | Browse..., and you should see the .CMD-file right away. Select it.

Now, every time any user logs on, the .CMD-file will run. If the user is an administrator, the Launcher icon will appear in the system tray. (If the user is not an administrator, the icon may not display.)

That works quite well here. Of course, EMC has yet to say whether every Retrospect installation has this problem and if it's targeted to be fixed.

regards, Andy

Hey Andy

Now for the real kicker.......I am using Windows Vista... this by the way, as you know was happening with XP Pro as well .....the only reason I am telling you this is when I tried to Navigate to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon

The chain in Vista stops at User....there is no scripts....any ideas or have you been working at all with Vista??

Thanks again Andy

Jim

Andy's the Best

I took your advise and went back to XP Pro.....When I reinstalled Retrospect it magically returned to the icon tray….but after a couple of other software installs it disappeared again (Mainly Nero).

But fear not, thanks to your clear instructions on startup scripts it worked like a charm and Retrospect is back in my system tray again.

Thanks Again

Jim