Not Backing Up Contents of Source

Hi

I have set up an easyscript backup, all appears well, but when it come to backing up, only the top level of the source is being backed up. For example, I have chosen to backup a folder containing other folders and files, but all that is backed up is one empty folder.

Can someone tell me how to correct this?

Quote:

I've never seen that option come up anywhere. Where exactly should I be looking for this?

You said you've chosen to back up a folder containing other folders and files. Whenever you did that is when you were presented with the folder option.

I will assume that you wrote your selection criteria directly into your script, rather than creating a custom selector for use by multiple scripts. Here's how to check what you did:

Go to Automate> Scripts and edit the relevant script. Click on "Selecting" and if there's a button marked "More choices.." click on that. You should then see your selection criteria. The icon for "enclosing folder" is two stacked folders, but it might be hard to distinguish from the icon for a single folder. Also, if you have multiple selection criteria, you will only see the first criterion at this point.

Highlight the criterion related to the folder in question and click "Modify." If the leftmost dropdown says "Folder," that's your problem. Instead, select "Enclosing Folder," click on OK until you're back to your script window. Then close the script window, which will then give you the option to save the script.

Run an immediate backup to confirm that the script works as expected.

Quote:

Does the same apply if I am backing up an entire drive?

Retrospect will back up the entire contents of a volume--or any subvolume you may choose to define--when that volume or subvolume is selected as the source.

Twickland attempted to help by stating:

Quote:

You said you've chosen to back up a folder containing other folders and files. Whenever you did that is when you were presented with the folder option.

You're making assumptions as to what he did.

The original post stated:

> I have chosen to backup a folder containing other folders and files

How, _exactly_, did you choose?

Dave

I didn't write anything into the script (at least not manually), I used the easyscript 'wizard'.

First attempt I selected a hard-drive as the source for the backup, only the top level files were backed up, not the folders or their contents.

I then tried selecting one of the folders as the source, this only backed up the folder, not the contents (shows an empty folder).

In my version of Rerospect the preferences section described above has no icons, only two drop-down list; one for include, one for exclude. These are set to include all and exclude nothing.

As for how I chose, after creating the easyscript, I went into edit script (as described before) and clicked on sources.

"Root" next to the name of a snapshot just means that the snapshot is for a local volume.

Your issue is sounding more complicated than it first appeared. Tell us more about your setup: what's your backup computer, what versions of the OS and Retrospect are you running, what type of destination backup set are you using, and what media and hardware are used with this backup set?

Have you tried running an Immediate Backup to the same backup set? (To save time in this test, you might define a smallish folder as a subvolume, as long as that folder also contains subfolders.)