Duplicate failed with different modify date/time errors

makmur

Hello,

I looked at the forum but could not find answer to my problem.

I am totally puzzled and may be someone (hints: Dantz) can help.

After using backup to tape for almost 10 years with Retrospect, I finally gave up and decided to use the Duplicate Feature of Retrospect which I never used before. This is where all hell break loose.

I decided to do use the Duplicate feature of Dantz and store the data into our Network Appliance disks which does its own snapshot. The destination volume is mounted using CIFS.

Duplicate goes correctly as expected however, it when verification is done, all files backed up failed to be verified. All of the files stored is off by 0 or 1 second in modified time which means on the next duplicate all files will be copied over again instead of just the changed files.

I tried to duplicate the problem manually and it occured every time. See included log files.

I am using Retrospect Workgroup server 5.61 on Windows 2K with latest patches etc..

Clients are remotedly backed connected via Retrospect Remote client software. All my clients are Win2K.

I dont have this problem if I do a Normal backup. With other backup, I got a lot of this errors which showed up after I upgraded to 5.61. (I should not have done it!)

TRegcryrub.gifOpen: winerr 5, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

The solution I find on the website is not satisfactory. Dantz wants me to upgrade or login as Administrator. If MS wants backup operator to have Administrator access they would not create backup operator account. I find it annoying to pay for bug fixes in the upgrades of which features I dont use ever.

See log below for duplicate feature problem. ( if you need more logs, let me know)

File "E:\new bcarroll\telephone lists\new spring 2000.TXT.XLS": different modify date/time (src: 9/20/2000 10:58:30 AM, dest: 9/20/2000 10:58:30 AM)

File "E:\new bcarroll\telephone lists\new spring 2001.XLS": different modify date/time (src: 12/13/2001 3:59:21 PM, dest: 12/13/2001 3:59:22 PM)

File "E:\new bcarroll\telephone lists\Spring 2003.xls": different modify date/time (src: 9/17/2003 10:50:38 AM, dest: 9/17/2003 10:50:38 AM)

File "E:\new bcarroll\telephone lists\spring 2002.xls": different modify date/time (src: 3/6/2002 3:14:03 PM, dest: 3/6/2002 3:14:04 PM)

File "E:\System Volume Information\tracking.log": different modify date/time (src: 10/6/2001 1:39:09 AM, dest: 10/6/2001 1:39:10 AM)

10/20/2003 10:52:16 AM: 48 execution errors

Completed: 48 files, 1,375 KB

Performance: 13.4 MB/minute (8.0 copy, 40.2 compare)

Duration: 00:00:13

TRegcryrub.gifOpen: winerr 5, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Thanks for your help.

Hanz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This happens on Samba servers as well. The time stamps on the duplicated files will vary a small amount on those UNIX based network appliances. They emulate a windows file system but they do not do so perfectly.

The insufficient permissions error is probably related to the windows emulation as well. Update the firmware and os on the network appliance if you can. That is the best hope for a resolution

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

It sounds to me that Restrospect is NOT using the archive bit to store the data.

You're correct. Retrospect does not rely on the archive bit to store data. Retrospect is different. Retrospect scans the disk you want to copy and then compares it against the destination drive. Retrospect then copies everything that's new or different to the destination drive.

Matching is the scheme for comparing file attributes to determine whether files are identical, which then allows intelligent copying to avoid redundancy.

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to find new or changed files. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will copy the file again. On Windows, Retrospect looks at creation date and time, modified date and time, size and name. If match only in same location option is set, Retrospect matches on the path, volume name and drive letter also.

By default, the archive attribute is not used as a matching criteria in Windows, allowing for true and reliable data copy.

Archived