Offset error 168

Has anyone run into the following error: File "\\xxx.xls": didn't compare at offset 168 in stream "Security Data"?

We're running a LaCie AIT2 tape drive on an Adaptec SCSI card 29160 off an IBM XPpro machine using OEM 5.6.132 for unattended overnight backups. I've got quite a few of these error messages on the latest log along with a handful of: "File "\\xxx.doc": different creation date/time (set: 14/08/2003 11:39:08 AM, vol: 14/08/2003 11:41:55 AM)" errors.

Are either of these messages something to be concerned about and, if so, any ideas for fixes?

Thanks! confused.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, we rotate tapes on a daily basis and regularly clean the drive, none of which seems to affect the error messages.

I checked and re-seated the SCSI cables yesterday and we have similar error messages this morning. We have actually already replaced both the SCSI card and the tape drive in the process of migrating to the WinXp machine running Retrospect.

I maybe should have mentioned before that we get the error messages only on the Unix based file servers we use (Iomega A300U and Linksys Gigadrive 80GB - we have mapped the drives to the machine running Retrospect). I looked through the log and couldn't find any error messages for the W2K client file server.

Still wondering... confused.gif

Thanks for the tip. We ran a backup from the Unix fileservers to a mapped hard drive. Less errors than usual, but we still got a few File "\\SERVER_LINKSYS\disk1\xxx.xls": didn't compare at offset 168 in stream "Security Data" and File "\\IOMEGAMACSERVER\public1\xxx.doc": different creation date/time (set: 25/08/2003 12:19:51 PM, vol: 25/08/2003 12:19:57 PM)

with summary report File "\\IOMEGAMACSERVER\public1\Clients\Pfizer\PFLIXXX-LandMarkPitch\Layouts\ASCOT.doc": different creation date/time (set: 25/08/2003 12:19:51 PM, vol: 25/08/2003 12:19:57 PM)

25/08/2003 11:20:38 PM: 56 execution errors

Total performance: 203.4 MB/minute

Total duration: 02:58:43 (00:00:21 idle/loading/preparing).

FYI, the unix fileservers are mapped via network drives through WinXPPro on the machine running Retrospect (you lost me on the Samba reference - both fileservers are managed through simple webpage style interfaces).

Thanks again for any help I can get.

Willy confused.gif

Hi

The date time errors can be ignored - there isn't much you can do about them in your situation anyway. Unix/ windows file sharing can do this kind of thing.

For the files with security problems, Try moving them off of the unix machine to a native windows box. then move them back to the server. That might take care of the security info.

Nate