HP Autoloader 1/8

PotzUK

I'm using Retrospect 5.6 with the latest drivers on Win2k to backup to a HP Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 1 device.

The backups run fine with no errors, however Retrospect seems to be blindly writing to the tapes, it doesn't actually tell the autoloader to switch tapes.

I know it has to be set to Random rather than sequential however the manual says the device 'auto detects' whether the software is driving it or not, if it doesn't find any then it auto-sets to sequential.

Does anyone know a) how to get retrospect to interface properly or B) force the autoloader into Random mode?

Thanks,

Tony

Quote:

The backups run fine with no errors, however Retrospect seems to be blindly writing to the tapes, it doesn't actually tell the autoloader to switch tapes.

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement? Does it not look for tapes at all? Does it search the loader slots, yet not find one?

Are you running Immediate backups or Automated (scripted) backups?

This drive has the following minimum requirements:

Retrospect 5.6

Retrospect Driver Update 2.8.111

Firmware 4AC2

Make sure your firmware is up to date (updates provided by hardware vendor), and that you are using the latest Retrospect driver update.

http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html

Well basically everything runs as you'd expect it. You Import a disk into the autoloader, load it into the drive and retrospect sees it and writes to it happily. When the tape gets full, it auto-loads the next tape (although tbh I think it's the drive doing this as it's in sequential mode). What doesn't happen is when retrospect asks for tape 1 again after working on tape 2 it sits there waiting for a manual action. Once I've manually unloaded tape 2 and loaded tape 1 the backup resumes as normal.

I've tried immediate backup and scripted, but we do use scripts.

Retrospect 5.6, using the latest drivers and firmware from HP, on a Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC server.

• 2 weeks later...