OS X clients spontaneously turn off

timneyb

I am trying to back up 5 clients over our ethernet network, 2 are OS 9 and 3 OS X, from a biege G3 desktop running Desktop Backup 5 under OS 9. The OS 9 clients backup fine, however the OS X clients all switch to the "off" state after some period of time like 15 to 30 minutes. All clients are version 5, and have their ethernet port listed first under Network Preferences. I have tried adjusting those clients energy saver settings to "don't sleep", and logging in as a different, stripped down user, neither of which fixed the problem. What could be causing this seemingly spontaneous switch off of my OS X clients!?

PS - The Desktop and Client upgades should also benefit from 30 days of free phone based support! $70 per call is rediculous for such a major, and buggy, upgrade.

One possible cause of this is described in the Knowledgebase at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=836

There are also several other cases in which the client will turn off after a period of being idle. This will be added to the Knowledgebase soon. This does not affect many users, but some people see it very reproducibly. Dantz is aware of this and looking into possible solutions for future updates.

This thread lists some other users' experiences:

OS X Client shuts OFF

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Thanks. It seems most other people are experiencing the clients turning themselves off actually during backup, my clients seem to do it whenever they feel like it. The speed threshold for my scripts are set to default, but that wouldn't be likely to be an issue, as I get the problem occurs without a script running. Oddly enough, I noticed that sometimes they do turn on again for a while - last night 2 of the 3 OS X clients got backed, up and one of them was still in the "on" state in the morning.

I'll try changing my backup server to one capable of running OS X and see if that helps.

Archived