Backup already belongs to a set

kwk

Quick question, I know i just screwed something up.

I have been backing up all my data to a particular set, lets call it "Set 1". So, when it backs up to the tape, it seems to look for "1-Set 1". I had some slight trouble last time backing up and it had an error communicating. Now, since then, it seems to always look for "2-Set 1", and if I try to select "1-Set 1" from the tape, it yells saying that it belongs to another backup set. However, this is the only backup set that I have been using for a long time and I only own one tape, so the help which says that I most likely put in the wrong tape seems wrong. How do I get my backup set to go back to using 1-Set 1 like I want it to?

-Kevin

Retrospect is asking for the next member in the backup set - either because their was a hardware error with the first member or it is full, which would require another member (tape) to continue.

Your choices are to recycle Set 1 -- which will erase the contents of the entire backup set and start the backup over from scratch -- or add a second member (tape) to Set 1.

You can manually recycle a set in Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Options > Action > Recycle.

In reply to:

(My tape is only like 10% full, so dont know why it wants another tape)?

Look in your operations log for more clues. If there was a hardware error, Retrospect will not write to that member any longer. If someone marked the member as missing, Retrospect will move on to the next member.

It is not possible to continue writing to a previous member once Retrospect has moved on past it.

Ok, I think that is the issue then. THere was one time when it lose communication with the drive but has since gotten it back. Now I just wish I could get it to do the old thing again, oh well, guess Im going to have to format this tape.

There is no way to have a new backup set made on the other 90% of the tape?

Thanks a lot for all the help,

-Kevin

Archived