Disaster recovery vs. duplicate drive

kocherpm

Dear Forum Members,

I recently used the "duplicate" feature to clone a Win9x IDE drive from C: to D: The resulting D: drive looked perfect, but it was not "bootable" when I physically substituted the D: drive for the C: in the PC. I guess the master boot record wasn't copied?

So, I went to Plan B. I created a backup set of the C: drive onto drive D: as "backup set a.rbf". Then I used the "disaster recovery" feature to create an ISO image, and a bootable CD. The disaster recovery CD booted fine, the restore worked fine, the "temporary file cleanup worked fine", and I had a working system. I was a happy camper. (Retrospect Help would no longer work inside the product following the recovery, but that's not a huge deal I guess.)

Plan B is a bit trickier that just doing a physical drive swap - but it's a "tool-free" operation. No case open required.

My question now is: is the "duplicate" feature not recommended for system/boot volumes for Win9x, Win2k, and/or WinXP? If "duplicate" is not recommended for this use, did I miss some warning in the .PDF files that ship with the product? Is there a "best practices" section that I should have read re: system/boot volumes? Will the "disaster recovery" procedure work to recover a bootable volume for Win9x, Win2k, and WinXP?

Thanks,

Paul

In reply to:

My question now is: is the "duplicate" feature not recommended for system/boot volumes for Win9x, Win2k, and/or WinXP?

From the Knowledgebase:

Although Dantz does not support this use of Retrospect, some users have been able to make it work successfully. The biggest road-block is Windows itself and how the system/registry used in your configuration will react to new hardware.

The following steps worked on a Dell Dimension with an internal ATAPI hard disk running Windows 2000/XP. Because every computer has different hardware/system requirements, these steps may not work for your configuration.

1. Make sure you have a Windows 98 boot floppy containing fdisk. If you do not have one available, try downloading one from http://www.bootdisk.com/

2. Using Retrospect (Professional edition or higher) Duplicate your atapi hard drive C: (the boot system disk) to another atapi hard drive D:. Make sure you have turned on the option to duplicate the registry.

3. In the Computer Management, make the D: drive active.

4. Shutdown

5. Disconnect the C: drive. Make sure D: is still attached.

6. Boot from the Win98 floppy

7. From the A prompt type:

A:\> fdisk /mbr This will clear the Master Boot Record on the remaining hard disk.

8. Reboot

When the system comes up for the first time, it will update the Registry and ask you to reboot again. Click OK to restart again.

-----------

The duplicate feature is designed to copy data files and folders - between partitions, across the network, between clients, etc. and is not designed specifically to be a full system backup operation.