NT Backup Server hangs

Configuration:

NT Server 4 running Retrospect Server 5.6.132

Windows 98/2000 clients

Sony TSL SA-500C Autoloader

Retrospect Driver Update 2.6.106

About once or twice a week, Retrospect Server hangs while backing up a client. By "hangs" I mean that a few clients are typically backed up successfully, then a client is started, and never finishes, to be seen when we come in in the morning (this script runs nights/weekends). This happens on a random client--not the same one every time. After this behavior is seen, Retrospect server stops responding and can only be quit by killing its task. However, the GUI remains unresponsive upon relaunching the program and normal operation can only be restored by a restart of the server machine. No error messages are observed related to this issue. Other operations (printing, for example) work fine.

What we've tried: Upgrading Retrospect to a newer build, reinstalling SCSI adapter drivers, reinstalling NIC drivers, reinstalling TCP/IP, upgrading the firmware and driver for the Sony autoloader, and enabled NT SCSI passthrough.

Can anyone help? Please? I'm at wit's end.

Thanks,

-Rich

I think what we need to do first is figure out if this is a device related hang or if it's something else.

The best thing to do is to run the backups to a FILE Backupset. A File Backupset gets saved to a hard drive. See if you have any problems. If you don't....then it has to be related to some type of Hardware issue... If you DO have problems doing a File backupset, then it might be a network related hang or a data hang. We would have to investigate from that point.

• 4 weeks later...

I still believe what we need to do first is figure out if this is a device related hang or if it's something else.

The best thing to do is to run the backups to a FILE Backupset. A File Backupset gets saved to a hard drive. See if you have any problems. If you don't....then it has to be related to some type of Hardware issue... If you DO have problems doing a File backupset, then it might be a network related hang or a data hang. We would have to investigate from that point.