Retrospect Desktop 5.0 Won't Recognize My CRX140E!

Subject computer is a PowerMacintosh G4/667 with a factory-installed Sony CRX140E CD-RW drive, running Mac OS 9.1

I just downloaded and installed Retrospect Desktop Backup 5.0. Problem is, it will not recognize the CD-RW drive even though the CRX140E is on the compatibility list. I've checked all the extensions, installed the latest Retrospect driver updater (2.7.102), ensured that the SDAP support extension 1.2 is in place, and updated the (Roxio) Toast CD Reader extension to version 5.0.2. FWIW, Toast Titanium 5.0 works fine on this computer. Still, the drive will not appear on the device list and I get the Macintosh unrecognized-disc dialog when a blank CD-R is loaded while in Retrospect.

What's going on??

Try booting your computer with only OS base extensions, plus the following:

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension version 1.2

-Toast CD Reader 5.0.x

Go to Configure > Devices. If the drive is seen while booted into this state, this would indicate an extension conflict.

Hi, AmyC,

Thanks for the reply! I tried your suggestion...it didn't work. frown.gif

Silly question...When Retrospect looks for devices when the bus scan is requested, does it check for IDE devices, such as this CD-RW drive, as well? (I just want to be sure the SCSI icon in the bus scan window is not misleading me.)

Thanks!

Yes, the device scan looks at all connected devices: IDE, SCSI, USB and Firewire.

What happens when you go to Configure > Devices > Device Status? What do you see for Vendor, Product and Version?

Can you verify the OS version you are running by going to the Apple drop down menu and selecting About this Mac?

Aplle's Software Update utility did the trick. The beast was overdue for a firmware update and other assorted items (like the latest Authoring Support extension), since I had never run Software Update since day one not knowing it existed on OS 9 blush.gif until I gave your Tech Note #505M (covering Retrospect 4.3) a second read.

All is well now.

Thanks!

Archived