Type 13 error when backing up to DAT

I have a Beige G3/266 MT recently upgraded with a G3/400 ZIF backing up to an HP DDS-2 changer (using Retrospect 4.3) connected to built-in SCSI bus (along with scanner, ZIP drive, ext. HD, CD-RW). Boot and other HDs are connected to PCI UW SCSI card. Recently I am not able to back up more than ~300Mb to tape without the program quitting with a Type 13 error. Incrementals work fine as long as the amount is less than ~300Mb. Tried brand new fresh tape and reset SCSI cables (nothing has moved other than replacing the CPU on the computer, but none of the SCSI devices). Error does not occur at the same file, because I can update the catalog file (to add the files backed up before crashing) and continue backup only to Type 13 about 300Mb later. I can back up GBs to a file without problem, so either the program is having a problem with the tape drive or the tape drive is somehow causing Retrospect to crash. Cannot find information on Type 13 error other than suggestion that a file is missing or corrupted. I re-installed Retrospect but same problem. HELP!

It sounds like the something on the hardware bus is having difficulty maintaining the prolonged data transfer. The best way to troubleshoot this is to start isolating all the variables involved.

Another device on your SCSI bus could be interfering with the tape drive's communication. Make sure your SCSI ID numbers are set correctly. Turn off your computer and the devices. Disconnect all SCSI devices except for the tape drive.

You could have a bad cable. Replace the SCSI cable that connects the tape drive to the computer after removing other devices and cables from the SCSI chain.

You could be missing a terminator (SCSI) or have a bad terminator. The last device and ONLY the last device in your SCSI chain needs to be terminated. Try replacing the terminator if you already have one on the chain.

The computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer and try the tape drive there as the lone device on the SCSI chain.

The drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple tapes after changing cables terminators and computers then the drive (being the only factor that has not changed) is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs.

If the tape drive works on another computer, then the problem is with the original backup computer. As your setup was working before you upgraded your computer, this is the most likely culprit.

Archived