unexpected end of media

above is the message i read very often when restoring from my disks. i think i remember reading it also during backup, however retrospect didn't interrupt the backup process when i got this message. problem is, during restore retrospect does interrupt the restoring process without restoring all requested files. thus huge amounts of data are LOST!! come on, dantz, you can't be serious about this - is there a trick how to solve this? how can i avoid said message in the future? if there is no solution i have to look for another backup program (tedious) or do it by hand, which i would hate. any input?

That is a hardware error reported by the backup drive. If you got the error during a backup, then it means your data was not written correctly to begin with and that is why a restore would not fail. Retrospect warns about this error during backup because it will cause restore troubles.

What exactly does the log day?

don't have the log here at the moment but afai can remember it also says something like unexpected end of media, not any more. looks like i can stop using retrospect now or is there any solution to this? problem is, the program doesn't recognize the problem and behaves like the data has been backed up. but on restore i'm out of luck, it's not restored (although i think it must've been backed up, at least the computer took some time to write stuff to the drive until it said unexpected end of media). however on restore the unexpected end of media message comes right away and nothing is restored. #$^!!! any ideas?

Hi

Hate to sound like a broken record but I'm pretty sure the problems are related to your SCSI card. The 2906 is a 25 pin card and I would guess your device is 50 pin at least. That difference can cause lots of trouble in OSX and is virtually unusable in OSX.

A different device or SCSI adapter is probably your best solution. With the present state of SCSI support in OSX your best bet is to go with firewire device instead. Sorry.

Nate