Error -1028

William999

I've been backing up on a small network using Retrospect Desktop v5 on Mac OSX machine and a single Windows 2000 client networked through a small router. Every thing has been working fine for many backups until I installed Apple Airport on the OSX Host and a Netgear wireless PC card on the Windows 2000 laptop. The Airport base station is set up as a wireless access point rather than a DHCP server ( that option turned off). The router is still in the network and unchanged.

Now Retrospect cannot find my client Windows 2000 on the network. Retrospect gives error -1028 (cannot see client on network). I can connect to the shared folders on the client using MAc OSX and smb; and Filemaker can access a shared file on the client, so the network is intact for those applications. However, something has happened so that Retrospect can't see the client. Does anyone know what I can do to make Retrospect see the client again?

Thanks

Can you use the Mac OS X Network utility to ping the Windows 200O client?

Are the clients still in the same subnet?

Here are a few tips for Airport clients:

1. Assign each airport client a static IP address.

2. Turn on Ethernet Bridging so the airport client gains an IP address from a DHCP server on the Ethernet network.

It will not work if airport is sharing its IP address to connected computers using DHCP.

airport uses a technology called NAT. Retrospect will be able to see these clients via multicast, but will not be able to communicate with them.

Yes, I can ping the Windows 2000 client laptop from the OSX host. I can also transfer files between the two networked computers using OSX and smb, or FileMaker, just not with Retrospect.

I can't see any command to turn ethernet bridging on. My understanding of ethernet bridging is that with the dual ethernet Airport, if you turn the DHCP function off, then the Airport acts as a bridge, because it's not trying to serve IP addresses.

In any event, something happened when I installed Airport on my network that made it so Retrospect Desktop can no longer see the client on the network. The router was the DHCP server before (when Retrospect worked) and it still is because I turned of the the Airport's DHCP function.

Does the OS X machhine have more than one item listed in the Network Preference Pane's "Show Active Network Ports" window? If so, experiment with moving/disabling the interfaces. Usually, you want to have the interface you're using with Retrospect listed first.

Thanks for your help. I finally solved my problem. It's kind of related to the multiple active network ports. What happened is when I set up my Airport base station I used the Airport Wireless card. But then when I was attempting to perform my usual Retrospect back-up of a wireless client I was using the host computer connected to the network via an ethernet cable. That's what caused the problem with Retrospect. Using a wired ethernet connection or wireless connection, I was still able to ping the client, transfer files via smb and use Filemaker networking. Those applications got the connection right either way, but Retrospect could see the client that needed backing up only if the host was also using a the wireless connection.

Archived