Jump to content

Restore failed - bad backup set header found - 10.3.2 & 5.0.238

Recommended Posts

I have been faithfully backing up my company files with Firewire LaCie tape drive, Mac running 10.3.2, and retrospect 5.0.238. Today, one of my team deleted a bunch of files by mistake. Feeling empowered with my impressive stack of tapes, I said "no problem," and proceeded to attempt a restore.


here's what the nasty news was in the Operations Log:

Bad backup set header found (0x3c356e3a at 19,959,350)


and there were 4 more such errors.


only 10 of 15 files were recovered, 98.2 of 74.2 MB


Prithee, why can't I get get my files from the oh-so-expensive backup stuff that I have before me?

I have seen some reference to dirty heads being a possible issue. Does that mean if I clean my tape drive heads that I could then recover the data?


I am now executing a "Verify" as would seem germane to do, and that same message about "bad backup set header found ... is showing up in the Operations Log.


Help / Commments / condolences would be appreciated.








Link to comment
Share on other sites



With 5.0 and OSX 10.3 its anybody's guess as to what could be wrong. They have not been tested together.


I would try the restore with the trial version of Retrospect 6.0 and see if that helps. I would also try a different firewire cable and port. One other thing would be to try the restore on another mac. Are there any errors in the log that indicate a problem when the backup took place?


It could also just be a bad tape. If all of your other data restores/verifies OK that is likely the problem.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply.


I checked my error log and there were no errors in my history of backing up, the only errors occured when I tried to restore ... ! That doesn't build confidence between me and the product.


I began the verify command yesterday afternoon at 3:07 pm and it is still running - I'm on the final of 6 tapes now. The log for this process already shows 4 messages that say, "bad backup set header found"


thank you



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an analagous problem with a Sony SCSI Dat drive which dosn't appear under any version of OS X.


In my case I booted into OS 9 (you know hold down the Alt key while booting to give you the choice of startup drive).


I then used the OS 9 version of retrospect to re-create the catalogues and now do my once a month extra extra backups to toape from OS 9.


Of course I do daily BU's to both an onlineHD and a CD-R as well. Although I have had a problem trying to restore from CD-R... see my other posting.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same problem with a scsi ait3 drive after upgrading from 10.2.3 to 10.2.8.


I'm almost certain that it was a scsi error, so I tried changing drivers and even scsi card.

My solution in the end, was to downgrade back to 10.2.3, and all the errors went away.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...