Endless Duplicate Backups In Panther With 5.1

Methinks I should have stuck with 5.0 - it usually worked fine. Here's the issue, I do a complete hard drive duplicate once a week. It used to take about 35 minutes.

Now it gets the bulk of the backup done in about the same time - and get to the "Closing" stage. But in that stage it gets caught in an endless loop trying to back up a few last files - usually under 50.

Any ideas?

I noticed a similar slowdown after upgrading my OS to 10.3 (I'm still running Retrospect Express 5.0.238). In my case, the Closing process isn't endless, but it takes about ten times longer than it used to -- instead of the file names flashing by too fast for me to read, they saunter by at a maddeningly slow pace.

See also thread http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=33773&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 ... hopefully we'll hear some ideas there.

Meanwhile, you said you had the problem on one drive but not the other. Can you think of any differences between the drives? That might be an important clue. The obvious difference would be the number of files on each drive. Would that explain why one finishes in 45 minutes and the other takes more than four hours?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived