Error 206 on external HD…

For the last several weeks I've been getting a 206 error when trying to back up to an externally connected firewire drive. I've reformatted the drive, I've ran every diagnostic tool on the disk I can get my hands on and it comes up fine - even when I do a surface scan and integrity check. I read in a knowledgebase document that the error can be caused by a bad hard drive, or one that is getting ready to fail. But all my tests have shown that the drive is fine. I can actually get the back up to work for a day or two if I wipe the external drive and repeatedly run my back up script - it gets through a little more data each time before I get the error.

On another note, I started getting a lot of mismatch errors as soon as this started happening. It all leads to a bad drive - but the drive is barely a year-and-a-half old. I just want to make sure there are no other options before asking the boss for money to spend on another HD. Any ideas?

Quote:

even when I do a surface scan and integrity check

It sounds as if you're focusing on the magnetic platters of the actual hard drive, and not considering the communication interface.

- What model of Macintosh are you using?

- What make of external FW enclosure?

- Have you tried a different FW cable?

- Have you tried a different FW bus?

hi d,

Quote:

It all leads to a bad drive - but the drive is barely a year-and-a-half old. I just want to make sure there are no other options before asking the boss for money to spend on another HD.

typically these drives have a 3 year warranty, if you have any questions about the integrity of the HD my best advice is to return it. don't just live with this kind of problem, as you are risking your important data--possibly your business--on hardware you don't trust. that's not good strategy.

cheers.

Quote:

For the last several weeks I've been getting a 206 error when trying to back up to an externally connected firewire drive.

You don't provide us with any info about your configuration (computer model, attached devices, Retrospect version, OS version) or whether there have been any changes in the recent past (hardware, software, unusual events such as sparks, etc.). It's possible that the fireware infrastructure is bad/flakey. Some people have had problems with iSight cameras on the same machine with a FW drive. The suggestions above are good ones. Have you tried another drive? Have you tried another FW port?

Nothing you say indicates a Retrospect problem. You've got hardware issues that need to be addressed first.

To be more blunt about what waltr is trying to tactfully say, our data is much more valuable than the cost of a drive, and I'm also concerned about the cost of time to recover. I've got a spare drive (and Xserve spare parts) in a cabinet. The cost of a computer is nothing compared to the cost of the data. Our business depends on the data, and we could care less about the computers.

Russ

Sorry for the lack of specs…

400 mhz G3 w/OSX 10.3.9 512MB RAM

Retrospect 6.1.126

LaCie firewire Porsche drive (with a one year limited warranty)

I haven't yet tried another cable - however, there's another firewire drive that we chain to this one for intermittent back ups, and it still receives/transfers data fine from both the desktop and retrospect. Although, I guess this doesn't rule out a bad cable or bad bus.

I realized this would probably be a hardware issue - I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing on the software side that anyone had seen cause similar problems (corrupt preferences, etc.) that a re-install would fix. This is obviously not the case.

There have been no new hardware/software additions, updates, etc. This machine only runs Retrospect for nightly backup of working jobs on five machines and a once a week backup of completed projects (which is the other FW drive that gets chained to the LaCie).

The firewire bus has passed TechTool Pro tests with no problems. I haven't ran Apple's Hardware Test though. This being the case it does appear we've got a bad drive. I realize the importance of the data and also how dangerous it can be to let this type of problem persist. We're a very small business and managing the back up gets done when I don't have client's breathing down my neck. That said, it's also hard for us to cough up another couple of hundred dollars to replace a drive we spent a couple of hundred dollars on last year. So I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something before asking the boss for more money. Fortunately, our backup duties are about to be passed on to a 450mhz G4; we may be able to use the additional internal drives that have been added for the artist over the years as a back up solution.

I might also mention that I purchased the same model Porsche drive for home use soon after we bought the one for the office. It died a few weeks ago, raising my suspicions that this drive was going the same route. And this isn't the first time we've had issues with LaCie drives.

Thanks for all the help though - it looks like it may be time to add another drive to the junk drawer.

Thanks for the additional info. I've got a LaCie FW Porche drive that we only use to clone our Xserve's OS volume (by RAID mirror split) prior to doing any software updates, simply as an instantaneous fallback in case the update goes bad (of course, we've got our Retrospect backups, too). We've never had a problem with it, and it's been running continuously for about 18 months now.

I understand that a major cause of failure of these LaCie FW Porche drives is because of the plugging/unplugging of the FW cable - apparently the mounting / soldering of the connector is shoddy. It may just be that ours has kept working because it's never been moved or unplugged. Before scrapping the drive, you might want to check that out - open the case, see if the connector is good, replace/resolder if not. Of course, that voids the warranty, but if you're out of warranty, what can it hurt? You might also have had a failure of the power supply brick for the drive - have you tried swapping that (if you've got another handy - make sure it's same voltage/current rating)?

Regards,

russ

thanks for the tips on the LaCie - neither the one here at the office or the one at home have been unplugged hardly at all. The power supply could be the issue, I'll check that one out. I also thought about just putting an older disk in the LaCie at home. It's such a nice case - the WD MyBook I replaced it with has a fan, a loud fan, a loud fan that never goes off. It's a shame, I've a nice, quite Intel iMac and a crazy loud external drive attached to it.

With regards to the Firewire bus on the B/W G3, that could be the culprit. I'll wait until we get the newer G4 set up and try the drive again. If it does work, I'll repost with an apology to LaCie smile.gif