file converted to folder after backup and restore

I am using retrospect 6.1.126 on Mac OS 10.4.7 and have discovered an odd behavior. I have a file called "lab projects.prc" that is a file of the program called Process. When backed up, retrospect converts this file to a folder named lab project.prc with 2 files inside named "data". When I restore, it gets restored as a file called data which is not recognized by the program. This seems to be a bug. Please help.

-Brent

(1) In Terminal, navigate to the folder that includes your "file" named "lab projects.prc". Type the following two commands and provide us with the results:

ls -ld lab*

ls -al lab*

(those are lower case "L" characters, not the pipe symbol).

(2) exactly how did you do the restore (provide complete details) ?

(3) exactly how did you do the backup (provide complete details - selectors, automated/immediate, etc.) ?

I have some suspicions, but I need the above results to confirm what you did.

russ

Russ,

Thanks for the quick response. In the meantime, I have figured out that this is a special file type called a bundle file which contains other files inside it (which retroscpect appears to backup separately). Nevertheless, retrospect is not handling this in the proper way. Below are my answers to your questions.

Quote:

(1) In Terminal, navigate to the folder that includes your "file" named "lab projects.prc". Type the following two commands and provide us with the results:

ls -ld lab*

drwxr-x--- 478 brentc11 staff 16252 Aug 25 15:28 .

ls -al lab*

drwxr-xr-x 8 brentc11 staff 272 Aug 25 15:23 lab projects.prc

plus long file list

(those are lower case "L" characters, not the pipe symbol).

search for files containing the name lab

(3) exactly how did you do the backup (provide complete details - selectors, automated/immediate, etc.) ?

immediate backup using a script backing all files - this file was not recognized as a document apparently which alerted me to the problem

I have some suspicions, but I need the above results to confirm what you did.

russ

hi brent,

Retrospect backs up file bundles. all of the "Applications" in your Application folder are file bundles. if you click one while holding down the 'control' key you will get a contextual menu that will give you the option to 'view package contents'.

Retrospect needs to back up each file in the bundle in order to do a proper restore.

could it be possible that you restored a file from within the bundle and not the entire bundle? in other words, could there be a file in the bundle you are trying to restore that has the same name as the bundle? this is usually the case, and were you to restore the entire bundle i think you would have all of your data back.

cheers.

Quote:

In the meantime, I have figured out that this is a special file type called a bundle file which contains other files inside it (which retroscpect appears to backup separately).

That was exactly my suspicion. There is an illusion that Apple presents in Mac OS X for the "convenience" of users, whereby certain folders (directories) are presented to users as a file ("bundle") so that everything having to do with the data can be moved around by the user as a unit simply by dragging the "file". Every application in your /Applications folder is an example of this.

Quote:

Nevertheless, retrospect is not handling this in the proper way.

It may not be handling things as you expect, but it is doing the right thing, at least that's the way it seems to me. See below.

Quote:

ls -ld lab*

drwxr-x--- 478 brentc11 staff 16252 Aug 25 15:28 .

Well, I think you weren't where I requested when you typed this command, or you typed a different command from the one I requested. Instead, I thnk you might have been inside your "lab projects.prc" folder; the rightmost column from this command's output should have matched the expanded rightmost argument (lab*) to the ls command (expands to "lab projects.prc" and perhaps other files/folders, too). If I had been more precise by asking that the command be

Quote:

ls -ld lab\ projects.prc

I could have been more certain that the right output would have been generated, but I was just trying to make it easy on you with less typing.

In other words, I would have expected something like:

Quote:

drwxr-x--- 478 brentc11 staff 16252 Aug 25 15:28 lab projects.prc

if you had typed the command I gave. But let's work on the assumption that the command's output is otherwise correct, because it does seem to indicate a bundle for your "file". In fact, I suspect that you may have interchanged the output of the two commands, or something similar; it's hard to give precise answers because you obfuscated the output by not showing the full output of the commands. The easiest way to provide such information is to copy the entire terminal output, including the commands you typed, so that all the data is there to make sure things were typed correctly.

Moving on:

Quote:

search for files containing the name lab

Here is where I believe that the problem lies. You looked for FILES containing the name lab, and that matched only things inside the bundle. I think that a better way to do restores is to restore from a snapshot, then use the file browser/list to check what gets restored. That way, you get the enclosing folder (bundle) and its contents.

Just a suggestion.

I think that the real problem is that Apple has hidden the detail of bundles from users. If Retrospect were to ask a question about restoring "bundles", most users would scratch their head in wonderment. If I asked Retrospect to search for files with a particular name, I would get what you got and that's what I would expect.

Anyway, the safest way, to me, is to restore from snapshots and do the little checkmarks to mark the restored items.

Hope this clears things up. Looks like your backup did catch the items, and I suggest that you go back and look at the snapshot to confirm.

Regards,

Russ