We still have never resolved this "backup server" bug -- more thoughts?

I'm still open for suggestions.

Mac Server -- current 6.1 with current RDU

PC clients -- running various 7.x clients (including current 7.5 client) -- but all running Windows XP SP2 (all patches).

Mac server is running in *backup server* mode to backup clients weekly.

What happens -- some PC clients will show as "deferred" in the status -- but the "next backup" is set for ASAP. These are *not* the clients actually deferring a backup in front of the computer.

When this happens, I can stop the "backup server" script and do an immediate backup of the client -- there's nothing about the client that stops the actual backup mechanism from functioning.

But if I put the machine back into "backup server" mode again, the machines still show as "deferred/ASAP".

NOTE: This is unlike when a client actually manually defers a backup -- in that case the status sets for the time they defer to.

The *ONLY* way we've been able to resolve this and get the client backing up through "backup server" again is to reboot the Windows client. That's just not right.

It only happens to a small subset of my computers (but not the same computers each time.) If it's some 3rd-party software conflict -- we've been unable to isolate/determine this. We've checked that no other visibly open applications have been running on this and (according to McAfee's products) there are no viruses/spyware on the computers that this occurs with.

Replacing/updating the Ethernet drivers hasn't appeared to make any difference (the PCs are of different "models", so it's not unique to a specific Ethernet card.)

We're stumped here. We'd like it resolved by Dantz/EMC, but it's impossible to reproduce.

Suggestions here? We've looked at task/process lists, but nothing jumps out.

And it never happens on the Mac/LINUX clients. Ever. Only the XP clients.

We'd *really* like this resolved...

Quote:

PC clients -- running various 7.x clients (including current 7.5 client) -- but all running Windows XP SP2 (all patches).

Windows client 7.5 is not recommended for use with Mac Retrospect 6.1; I undersatnd there have been some incompatibility issues.

Quote:

What happens -- some PC clients will show as "deferred" in the status -- but the "next backup" is set for ASAP. These are *not* the clients actually deferring a backup in front of the computer.

When you're actually sitting in front of the relevant client machines, what does the client software show as the status?

Quote:

It only happens to a small subset of my computers (but not the same computers each time.)

It's not perfectly clear what your limits are here. Are some computers never affected?

You stated:

Windows client 7.5 is not recommended for use with Mac Retrospect 6.1; I undersatnd there have been some incompatibility issues.

my reply: It's not limited to 7.5 clients. Most of our clients are still at the pre-7.5 level because there's no way to "push" a 7.5 client from Mac 6.1

You asked:

When you're actually sitting in front of the relevant client machines, what does the client software show as the status?

"Ready". Even setting the client to "ASAP" does not override the problem in backup server.

You also asked:

It's not perfectly clear what your limits are here. Are some computers never affected?

Some computers have never been affected. I can not say with 100% certainty that those computers do not get shut down/restarted on a regular basis, though. Many staff members here will turn their computers off at night.

The reason this came up this time again was that one PC that backed up just fine last week was stuck "deferring" today.

I asked when they last restarted -- they had done so on Tuesday night when the MS Updates came out -- and, according to them -- they only did a scan of their computer with Anti-Virus software at that point, then did not run any other app.

When the backup came to hit that computer on Thursday (having been restarted Tuesday night), it was "deferring" when it came time for it's weekly backup-server backup.

Thus my problem. I have at least 3-6 various PCs (I have 3 different PC backup server machines) each week showing this problem. And it's not usually the same machine each time.