Dual-boot G4 Successfully Restored Entire HD

I'm posting to share this "Hallelujah, it worked!" experience as a means of reassuring Mac readers who may be holding their breath like I had been that Retrospect 6.0.204 successfully and completely restored my dual-boot G4 over the weekend! My particulars: dual-boot, mirror-door G4 running OS 9.2.2 and 10.3.9, EZQuest Cobra FireWire hard drive and EXQuest FireWire Boa DVD writer (to HP DVD+RW) for backups.

Even though I had been assured by Dantz employees who post here that all would go well, I'd always wondered what would really happen in a real disaster, especially since this Mac boots into both OS 9 and 10. I'd been afraid that something would go wrong with the OS9 portion of things, which is very critical since I still run a number of old 9-only applications. My browser of choice is Opera and last weekend I upgraded from 8.5.4 to the new version 9, only to discover that close to 900 archived emails had disappeared. I could find no way to retrieve them.

Fortunately, I had just done a fresh recycle backup to the Cobra HD. Retrospect for Mac 6.0.204 worked like a charm! I can boot from both 9.2.2 and 10.3.9, and everything is intact. Whew!

Um, glad you met with success, but you really should have tested this out in the beginnng before deployment. The moment of crisis is not the time to find out that you had some Selector setting wrong or that you were missing some critical part of the puzzle, or that you don't quite understand all the steps in the full restore process. The first time you have to do such an emergency restore is a moment of great anxiety, and it's better to have done it previously under good test conditions. Really, the best way to test is to do a full restore to a spare drive and then to verify that the spare drive is a good restore.

You might want to consider upgrading to Retrospect 6.1 (it's a free upgrade) with the caveat that 6.1 changes the backup format (can read old 6.0 and prior - I tested back to 2.1 - but 6.0 will have problems with 6.1 format). We have seen a few problems resolved with 6.1 that existed in 6.0.

Congratulations on your success.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Russ, thanks for your reply. I never upgraded to 6.1 because it took nearly a year to get 6.0 working with my FW HD and DVD burner and I was afraid to mess with it after finally getting 6.0.2.0.4 to work, as well as the negative comments I had read on VersionTracker when 6.1 was first released. Also, the description of the 6.1 update led me to believe that it was for people planning to go to 10.4 and, therefore, optional for the rest of us who will probably stay in 10.3.9 for the rest of our lives.

In a way, the successful "restore entire disk" I reported was not a "moment of great anxiety" except that I wanted to recover all of those lost emails that were zapped during the upgrade to Opera 9. I do not have an extra drive to test with; only the external EZQuest FW HD I backup to.

If you would, please elaborate on what you meant when you said you had "seen a few problems resolved with 6.1 that existed in 6.0." I'm still a bit afraid to go from 6.0.2.0.4 and really need more info and assurance that something won't get messed up. I'm concerned that something may be lost on this dual-boot G4 running 10.3.9 and 9.2.2. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thurletta

Quote:

Um, glad you met with success, but you really should have tested this out in the beginnng before deployment. The moment of crisis is not the time to find out that you had some Selector setting wrong or that you were missing some critical part of the puzzle, or that you don't quite understand all the steps in the full restore process. The first time you have to do such an emergency restore is a moment of great anxiety, and it's better to have done it previously under good test conditions. Really, the best way to test is to do a full restore to a spare drive and then to verify that the spare drive is a good restore.

You might want to consider upgrading to Retrospect 6.1 (it's a free upgrade) with the caveat that 6.1 changes the backup format (can read old 6.0 and prior - I tested back to 2.1 - but 6.0 will have problems with 6.1 format). We have seen a few problems resolved with 6.1 that existed in 6.0.

Congratulations on your success.

Russ

Quote:

please elaborate on what you meant when you said you had "seen a few problems resolved with 6.1 that existed in 6.0."

Mainly, autoloader issues with our Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u with SCSI interface and ATTO UL4D. It's possible that those were solved by Exabyte, not Retrospect, because there have been a few firmware updates by Exabyte over the same period. As far as we are concerned, there are only a few "features" that still need to be addressed - (1) D2D2T for the Mac product to shorten the backup window; (2) remote admin for headless server; (3) make scroll wheel work; (4) for Retrospect to honor pre-named, pre-erased, barcoded tape names in autoloader rather than just picking whatever erased tape it finds; and (5) to be able to specify a maxumum number of members for a backup set before moving to a new backup set (new media), which, together with (4), would make fully unattended backup a reality.

Another feature that would be nice would be (6) use of checksum polynomials, etc., for verification (i.e., the way BRU works) rather than by file comparison, which would make for fewer errors when backing up a live server.

I've put in my feature requests, of course.

(1) and (2) are major changes; (3), (4), and (5) would seem to be rather minor, and (6) doesn't seem to have that big an impact on design, either. I see that there are many complaints in the Retrospect Windows forums about processor slowdown caused by MD5 checksums in the Retrospect Windows product.

The main issue that I've seen reported with 6.1 is the fact that pre-6.1 backup sets become read only. Not an issue for us, but is an issue for some people.

Admitted, we run MacOS 10.4.7 Server on our Xserve G5 Retrospect server, not 10.3.9 as you do, and I know that some people have had issues with various SCSI cards (we had issues with Retrospect and the BTO Apple Dual Channel SCSI card in our Xserve G5 - really an LSI Logic 22320 SCSI card - but those issues disappeared when we replaced the Apple SCSI card with an ATTO UL4D). But the upgrade for us from 6.0.204 (think we ran 10.4.2 or .3 at that time) to 6.1 was pretty painless. I think that the 6.1 release is pretty stable.

Obviously, we need the ACL support that is not needed for 10.3.9.

Russ