Hi- I'm a brand new Retrospect user. I have extensive experience with Veritas products, but this is a whole new game.

Basically. I'm trying to back up 20 or so Macintosh desktops and laptops. I have a G4 Xserve running OS X 10.3.9, an ATTO ExpressPCI UL4S, and an Exabyte 221L with a single LTO 1 drive. The version of Retrospect installed is 6.1.126 Workgroup.

According to all the documentation I've read, this combo should work. Tech support seems to think so, too.

I have all the current drivers/firmware installed, the SCSI configuration is correct, and Retrospect has no trouble 'seeing' the tape library.

It doesn't work, though. Here's what happens: I place tapes in the library. Retrospect recognizes that there are tapes there. I select one to erase. and the tape is loaded into the drive, then.....nothing. Retrospect becomes unresponsive at this point. There's a little spinning beachball that never goes away (and I've left it running for hours and hours to be sure it isn't just slow). I can't stop the operation, can't close Retrospect by any means other than a 'force quit'.

Now, because I am new to this product, I really don't know what to expect. It doesn't seem to have all the tape library functionality of the Veritas products I'm more familiar with, but clearly there is something wrong.

So...is there anyone out there using a combination of hardware similar to this? Can anyone offer suggestions about what to try next for troubleshooting? (I've already installed the SCSI card and software on a different Xserve with the exact same result).

thanks for any help you can offer...

Dana