Trying to backup to internal NEC 3520AW hangs Retrospect

A while ago I replaced my internal Pioneer (which worked fine with Retrospect 6 before it broke down) with a LaCie NEC 3520AW. The new drive works great with Toast 7 and is recognized by Retrospect and given driver NEC DVD DL (5.12) in bold.

But when I try to backup to my old DVD backup set Retrospect hangs a few seconds after I put in the required disc. It says "loading" and the spinning beachball comes up and I hafta Force Quit. The Force Quit window says Retrospect not responding alright. Nothing happens, the drive doesn't even start spinning up.

I tried making a custom configuration with a new disc but again the same thing happens. Well, nothing happens, that is. Retrospect hangs again after just a few seconds.

Someone I know from the Toast forum has the same drive as an external on a FireWire connection and his works flawlessly. What can be wrong? Help, tips, tricks highly appreciated.

The drive has the latest Firmware (3.07) and Retrospect is up-to-date as well. My machine is a Dual G4 MDD 1.42 FW800, 2GB RAM and running 10.4.6. Again, this is about an internal ATAPI LaCie DVD-RW DL, which is an unmodified NEC with 3520 mechanism (according to LaCie support - who don't understand it either). Can someone help me out, please? I really would like to backup to DVD's because nothing much can happen to them when the files are copied. Yes, Retrospect does backup to my second internal HD and a small external Pocket Drive. But I think that's quite risky, the Pocket has already gone up in smoke once. Literally...

Quote:

But when I try to backup to my old DVD backup set Retrospect hangs a few seconds after I put in the required disc...

and

...I tried making a custom configuration with a new disc but again the same thing happens.

- When you tried to append the existing set, were you using a Member disk that had already been written to by the old drive?

- Does the same thing happen using the default (non custom) configuration and a new Backup Set?

- What brand of media are you using? Have you tried with premium blank DVD disks such as Taiyo Yuden?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for trying to help me out!

Yes, I tried it first with the halfful (Apple DVD) Member written by the old drive, expecting it to try and "line-up" and then probably fail and ask for a new one. But that didn't happen, the drive didn't even try to find the last cutoff point. No spinning sound at all, nothing.

I also tried making a new set from scratch, using Verbatims this time. Same result, zilch and Retrospect unresponsive in a few seconds.

Can't get Taiyo Yuden here, but besides Apple I've tried real Verbatims from Mitsubishi Chemical and Imations I got for a present. All of them work great with Toast 7. I would believe it were a medium problem if the drive made a lot of errors or would fail to continue on a half full disc, but the thing doesn't even start. It looks like besides Ejecting there is no communication between the app and the drive. I just don't get it...