Need Help! execution errors: backup set format inconsistency

I have Mac OS X version 10.4.5 on my iMac and Express 6.1.126. I keep getting messages like the following one:

3/15/2006 1:29:54 PM: Copying Macintosh HD…

3/15/2006 2:48:25 PM: Comparing Macintosh HD…

Backup set format inconsistency (7 at 0)

File “DirectoryService.server.log”: different data size (set: 1546, vol: 1601), path: “Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.server.log”.

File “SystemEntropyCache”: different modification date/time (set: 3/15/2006 1:53:25 PM, vol: 3/15/2006 2:53:26 PM), path: “Macintosh HD/private/var/db/SystemEntropyCache”.

File “ntp.drift”: different creation date/time (set: 3/15/2006 1:50:30 PM, vol: 3/15/2006 2:50:37 PM), path: “Macintosh HD/private/var/run/ntp.drift”.

3/15/2006 4:04:24 PM: 4 execution errors.

Remaining: 8 files, 21.5 MB

Completed: 380218 files, 28.3 GB, with 11% compression

Performance: 377.1 MB/minute (373.3 copy, 381.0 compare)

Duration: 02:34:30 (00:00:55 idle/loading/preparing)

I have spent untold hours trying to find the info I need on the websites - to no avail. And I obviously can't backup my computer. This makes me a little crazy. Last year before Retrospect, I lost a lot of files on my old computer. The experts couldn't fix it. The thought of it happening again is trully frightening.

FYI for a little history if it helps: Last week I posted about an incorrect disk full message when trying to backup.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Faith W.

• 1 year later...

Quote:

You are trying to view a link that from early 2006, so I am not surprised it is dead

Well, that answer certainly surprised me!

I can't see any reason why the historical record of this Forum isn't everlasting; answers to questions posed two years ago can be just as valid as answers given today. Not to mention the ability of users to find old threads helps them to get help/support/solutions without ever having to make a post of their own.

What's up?

Dave

bkd, It's unclear whether you are simply reporting bad links all over the forums (this isn't your only report), or whether you are trying to research a problem you have that is similar. Your other "bad link" posts aren't even in the Macintosh forums, so it's unclear.

If you have a similar issue, simply FYI, these are two classes of errors. Three of the errors are in the "harmless" class:

Quote:

File “DirectoryService.server.log”: different data size (set: 1546, vol: 1601), path: “Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.server.log”.

File “SystemEntropyCache”: different modification date/time (set: 3/15/2006 1:53:25 PM, vol: 3/15/2006 2:53:26 PM), path: “Macintosh HD/private/var/db/SystemEntropyCache”.

File “ntp.drift”: different creation date/time (set: 3/15/2006 1:50:30 PM, vol: 3/15/2006 2:50:37 PM), path: “Macintosh HD/private/var/run/ntp.drift”.

These are files that changed between the time your Retrospect backup started, and between the time the verify pass was run. These files are normal to change.

The other error is different:

Quote:

Backup set format inconsistency (7 at 0)

Some good links (without "access denied" messages) to threads on this subject are:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post84229

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post84232

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post84722

The most relevant three threads, though, have access denied, but links are here in Dave's ancient post:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post83277

Russ

You are right, it is in a "closed" section.

I ran a forum cleanup process over a year ago and the contents got copied to the Desktop, Workgroup and Server for Mac OS X section from the old Retrospect 6.x Desktop, Workgroup and Server section of the forum. The content still exists, it just got moved.