newbie just trying to make an incremental backup

greetings; i crashed my powerbook G4 pretty bad back around xmas. purchased an OWC 60 gig external; it came with Retrospect Express Backup 6.0.204

i have a second OWC hard drive for library backup. i wish to use this present 60 gig for a "snapshot". i call it incremental backup and maybe that's the wrong phrase. but i want to do a backup that provides me with a current clone of the internal hard drive. when the mac internal gets goofy again, i will use this backup to restore my last state prior to the problem.

now, i have been told by my friend Stan to "duplicate" the internal hard drive (Hokey 2) onto the external destination drive (Pookie). so i chose "duplicate". i also chose initially to "replace entire disk". four hours later i had (i think) a clone of Hokey 2.

then i eliminated an old application in Hokey 2. and ran Immediate Duplicate a second time. i chose the option to "replace corresponding files" (i now think that's wrong). all i had done was eliminate an application. it took two hours to do all the scanning and all that stuff. and when complete the old application was still in Pookie.

i'm not a dummy. but i'm doing something wrong, and the semantics and menu choices confuse the heck out of me. can someone please tell me how to make a clone. and then make an incremental backup from my internal hard drive Hokey 2 to my external hard drive Pookie?

thank you in advance,

shelley

>i'm doing something wrong...

Not wrong per-se, just not what you apparently want to do.

>the semantics and menu choices confuse the heck out of me.

That's partly because they are quite confusing. They are described in the User's Guide, however.

>can someone please tell me how to make a clone. and then make an incremental

>backup from my internal hard drive Hokey 2 to my external hard drive Pookie?

Your initial Duplicate to the erased volume resulted in the clone you wanted.

Additional, incramental Duplicates (Backups mean something different in Retrospect) should use the "Replace entire disk" option.

A Duplicate will go through the every file on the Destination and check/set permissions; so as you saw, a small amount of actual data writing can still take a long time to complete.

Backups can be much faster, but serve different needs then Duplicates do.

Dave