restore file permissions and ownership problem.

Hi All,

Got another question.

I'm using Retrospect v. 6.1.126, Device Access Version 1.0.107 and Driver update version 6.1.3.101 running on a PowerMac G5, Mac OSX 10.3.9 with 7GB of memory and 90 GB HDD free space.

I've had to modify the way my backups are being done due to (I think) poor memory utilization by retrospect and so I'm doing some restore tests to make sure I'm covered and I've noticed some annoying behavior. If I try to restore files from backup (instead of restore an entire disk) after the restore is done the ownership and permissions of the restored files are set to me and standard instead of the original owner and permissions. If I restore an entire disk (read subvolume) then the ownership and permissions are set correctly. I've looked and looked but can't see any options about restoring with original permissions.

Basically, as it stands, if I want files restored with their original settings, then I have to restore the entire subvolme.

Am I missing something or is this 'working as written'?

Thanks,

-Mark

From the EMC/Dantz Knowledge Base (article 2789):

Quote:

TITLE: How does Retrospect handle UNIX permissions when I restore?

Discussion:

If you select the option to restore an entire disk or to replace corresponding files, files are restored with the same permissions they had when originally backed up.

If you use a restore option that restores files or folders to a new folder on your hard drive or a client, Retrospect gives the currently logged in user permissions and ownership of the restored items.

If no user is logged in to the volume at the time of the restore, the items will be owned by the root account, and any administrator may access them.

Article previously published as #27229

May not be what you wanted to hear. Regards, Russ

Quote:

Basically, as it stands, if I want files restored with their original settings, then I have to restore the entire subvolme.

Not quite. It's not the files that you Restore, it's the Destination to which you Restore them, that matters.

"Restore files from backup" will create a new folder, with the name of the Backup Set, that will contain your restored files. This is the method that gives all files the permissions of the current logged in user.

"Restore an entire disk" is poorly worded; it should be called "Restore an entire volume." and that volume does not, as you note, need to be an actual full logical OS volume, but can instead be a Retrospect Subvolume.

So just define an empty folder as a Subvolume, and use this as your Destination with the Restore entire disk option. The process to select the files you want to fetch are the same with both options.

Dave

Archived