Automated backup of a powerbook's external drive.

So I have my powerbook set to awake at a certain time and the script is scheduled to run at this time.

However, I require a password when awake from sleep or screen saver so that means that when OSX doesn't get the password it immediately puts the powerbook back to sleep. Ok so plan B. Have the powerbook awake from sleep when I had already logged out. Now it seems Retrospect cannot find the catalog and complains with a -43 ... Should retrospect be able to see /Volumes/External when I'm not logged in? Is my drive actually mounted at that point?

hi stef,

the problem is that OS X unmounts external drives when you log out. you don't mention your OS, but it's been a problem since 10.3 and i believe not fixed in 10.4. you can try the solution here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5220&p=2

but i've seen people have trouble with it and it's an unsupported solution from EMC. an alternative might be to set the powerbook to stay on while it's plugged in and use a screensaver only, then set Retrospect to sleep or powerdown after the backup finishes.

Quote:

Should retrospect be able to see /Volumes/External when I'm not logged in? Is my drive actually mounted at that point?

No, to both questions.

In early versions of Mac OS X, external volumes remained mounted at /Volumes/ when a user logged out. But at some point (I think it might have been 10.2) Apple changed the behavior, so that the filesystem no longer sees these external volumes unless the user is logged into the Aqua Finder.

There was a modification that worked back then, on a .plist file, that was discussed on this board at the time (and a few times since).

Here a recent thread that includes it, althugh it ends with a user report that the hack no longer works in Tiger.

Dave