Did "Unattended" behavior change in 6.1?

I was wondering whether the behavior of Preferences> Unattended> Shut Down has changed in Retrospect 6.1?

We normally don't have the backup computer shut down after backup, but with the holidays, we are using this option. However, we ran into problems where the computer shutdown timed out because Retrospect itself had not yet quit. We use tapes, and Retrospect's default is to rewind tapes at quit. The problem is that Retrospect always waits for confirmation from the drive before quitting, and the time required for the rewinding process can exceed the default system timeout.

In the past, this has been an issue when selecting Shut Down in Finder, but it hasn't been an issue when Retrospect initiated the shutdown. Perhaps nothing has changed in 6.1 and we've just been lucky in the past that the few times we opted for automatic shutdown happened to occur when we were close to the beginning of a tape and the rewind times were short.

We've "solved" this problem by going to the secret preferences and telling Retrospect not to rewind tapes at quit, but this is not ideal.

Is there some compelling reason why Retrospect should have to wait for the tape drive to finish rewinding before it can quit?

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a problem for us under 6.0, but as I said above, we may have just been lucky in the few times we did try. I can say with more confidence that the shutdown timeout issue wasn't a problem with 5.1 under OS X. Perhaps the sequence for the necessary AppleScript commands has changed?

On the other hand, the issue of Retrospect having to wait for the tape to finish rewinding has been an annoyance forever (that is, at least since v1.3). If one uses the button on the drive to rewind/eject the tape, there is naturally no delay before Retrospect quits. It's only when Retrospect issues the command to the drive (and presumably has to await the correct reply) that it is unable to quit. I was wondering whether there is some compelling reason (operational or programmatic) for Retrospect to exhibit this behavior whenever it issues a "rewind' or "eject" command to the drive.