any new ASIP updates?

There are no updates to address this issue at this time.

Dantz is still working directly with Apple on these issues. When more is known, it will be posted to this forum.

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 2 weeks later...

I recently updated my Appleshare IP server to use the new 5.0 client and everytime retrospect server attempts to back it up, the machine completely freezes. Is this the issue with appleshare you folks are referring to? If so, how could this new version of retrospect have been released if this was an issue? I would think that there are a lot of people out there who want to back up Appleshare servers.

Yes, that's the same problem I'm having. I think it is the issue this message refers to. I found that the only way around it for me is to restart the server without AppleShare IP every night, back it up, and restart it again after turning AppleShare back on. I'm getting tired of this, since I have to do this from home every night.

The problem with this solution is that I think if Appleshare is not running, the privileges WILL NOT get backed up. TO WHOMEVER AT DANTZ, I NEED A SOLUTION/WORKAROUND TO THIS PROBLEM. My Appleshare is probably to the most important server that I have, and it needs to be backed up.

Hello,

Dantz has been investigating several problems that customers have reported when backing up an AppleShare IP server with Retrospect 5.0. Reported problems include:

1) The ASIP server crashes when Retrospect 5.0 autolaunches or is launched

from an alias.

2) The ASIP server crashes at the beginning of a backup with the Retrospect

5.0 client.

3) Retrospect returns "error 1 (unknown)" for some files backed up from an

ASIP server with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Our investigation has revealed that these problems result from using Carbon APIs with AppleShare IP software. Problem #1 occurs when any Carbon application is launched from an alias, confirming our contention that it is not a Retrospect issue. Retrospect 5.0 uses HFS+ file system calls, as specified by Apple, which stimulate bugs in the AppleShare IP software,

resulting in Problems #2 and #3.

We have reported all of these problems to Apple, but Apple's development efforts are now focused on Mac OS X Server. Without a commitment by Apple to address these problems, we have no choice but to suggest that our customers consider replacing AppleShare IP with Mac OS X Server.

Sincerely,

Dantz Development

Technical Support

www.dantz.com

Archived