Server missed an entire drive!

I ran a full backup on Friday, then took that media home and started a whole new backup set. When I plugged my portable (running OSX) in this morning, Retrospect started a backup using the new set. I have two partitions on the portable, the OS X drive and the OS 9 drive. Retrospect reported that no files needed to be backed up on the OS 9 drive, but then proceeded to back up everything on the OS X drive, as it should have.

It's quite disturbing to find that Retrospect can't be counted on to back things up as they ought to be! This occurred with Retrospect 5.0.205 running as a backup server on OS X. The OS X client is configured to backup selected drives, and both of these drives are selected in the config.

This needs to be fixed ASAP! It makes me cringe to wonder what other files Retrospect may be electing not to copy. You're selling security when you sell a backup program, and I definitely do not feel secure right now.

Are you saying that on a brand new backup set, Retrospect said in the log that no files needed to be copied? Is this a completely new set? Is this one that you've recycled? Are there any other errors?

Could you post the relevant part of the log?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. It's a CDR set so nothing is being recycled. The log is on a different machine so I won't post it exactly, but it goes like this...

Copying OS 9 Drive on TiBook

Connected to TiBook

No files need to be copied

Execution completed successfully.

Obviously it's idea of success and my idea of success are somewhat different...

My apologies, but I'd forgotten that I deleted the OS 9 Disk selection criteria later Friday night, after realizing that I would still be in the office Saturday morning if I didn't. Opening up the script selectors reminded me of this, but it had slipped (what's left of) my mind otherwise.

Sorry to have wasted your time. You're welcome to delete this thread if you care to. I must say that I am happier to think that it was my error than to think that it was Retrospect's...

Lee

Archived