Limiting the number of sessions

Hello All,

I am on an iMac G5 running OS 10.3.8 and using Retrospect Desktop 6.0.178. I am backing up 10 clients, one of which is a mail server (Normal Backups). I back up to a LaCie Big Disk 500 GB and it is finally happening, I am running out of space. My question is, is there a way to limit the number of sessions per client? For instance my backup consist of 92 sessions, is there a way to delete the oldest session before beginning the next session (limit the number to 92 sessions). I suspect that there is not, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for any help, Jim

There's no direct way to do this, but you could approximate it by using Tools> Copy> Transfer to copy sessions after a specified date to a new Backup Set. This would require a second backup drive, but for safety's sake you should not be relying on a single backup set anyway.

However, once you have a second drive (three would be even better), an even better idea would be to rotate your backups through all the drives. You could then establish a staggered schedule for performing a recycle backup on each drive, at frequent enough intervals such that the drive doesn't become full. That way you will always have at least one copy of the most recent backup sessions.