OSX Client Shuts OFF

I have just installed Ret v.5 OSX Client on a Titanium PowerBook, while running OS X. Now, when my OS9-based Retrospect Server tries to backup the OS X Powerbook, it suddenly quits just after it has started to backup files. When I check the OSX Client, it has turned itself OFF.

(I had previously installed Ret v5 OS 9 Client while booted in OS9 (and it ran fine when booted in OS9. When I booted in OS X and installed Ret OSX Client, I had to have the Server refind the PowerBook and reactivate the OSX Client. Now the Backup Server shows the PowerBook twice; once for OS9 and again for OSX. Is this contributing to, or a part of my problem?).

When the Client turns OFF, the Server says there was an Error 519 (Network Communication Failed).

I'm running the Backup Server on a 120MHz PowerMac 7200 through an Apple 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card. It backs up my iMac (through Airport) and my Beige Desktop G3 (both running in OS9) with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply query. I had nothing else running (incl. no Classic). After my post, I got through to Dantz tech support and they say this is a known problem with the v5.0 CLIENT running in OSX: for some unknown reason it shuts itself off 'prematurely.' Dantz is working on a fix and they hope to have it 'soon.'

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to find out if this bug only happens with Titanium G4s, or does it happen with many different Macs? I'm testing out a Retrospect 5.0 server backup system with my OSX-equipped TiG4, and have been experiencing the same thing. It backs up my OSX partition just fine, but the client shuts off before it can backup my OS9 partition.

Getting the backup system running is the last step before I allow OSX systems into the departments I administer. If the bug is only with the TiG4, then I don't need to wait for a fix before rolling out OSX. If it effects many machines, then I have to wait.

Thanks much!

Chris

It sounds like you have some other issues, but a couple of things to consider:

1) Energy Saver and Sleep. Check the Energy Saver settings are set to Never while the backup is taking place. (This is a bit awkward at the moment for portables since there is only one setting in Mac OS X which doesn't change for location or battery/mains.) I have had a variety of problems with clients recently, new computers with the default sleep settings, new PCs with a very tempting sleep button on the keyboard, Mac OS 9 users switching to Mac OS X and shutting down their computer each night, etc

2) Client in 9 or X. I explain the tradeoffs to my clients and make them decide whether they will backup from Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X, and only install one client and only have that client active on the server.

It's certainly not an issue with Energy Saver. I sat here using the computer in OSX while it was being backed up, and had the Retrospect control panel open (so I could keep an eye on it). As soon as the OSX partition backup was complete, the control panel switched itself from ON to OFF right before my eyes. It always happens, and it always happens right after the OSX partition backup is complete, preventing my other partition from being backed up. Definitely a bug of some sort. This same computer running OS9 has never had a problem being backed up by my 4.3 server. Dantz has apparently acknowledged the bug, and I'm hoping they can at least tell me if it's just a bug with the TiG4, or with other model Macs as well.

I actually have the same issue. I specifically purchased the 5.0 upgrade so I could back up my OS X clients and I have yet to be successful. I'm backing up (or attempting to back up) two G4 450 Dual Processor macs running OS X 10.1.5 so it's not an issue with your TiBook. I am also running Retrospect Server in OS 9 because in OS X apparently it's not compatible with my MilesU2W SCSI card and something is causing retrospect to report "catalog out of sync" errors.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Could this have something to do with our network environment? We have Cisco 2948 and a 3948 switches. Also is there any idea when this issue will be resolved? It's very frustrating because the only reason why I upgraded was so I could back up my OS X clients. If there is anymore info I can provide or anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, pat

I don't think the switches have anything to do with it. We have 3Com switches/hubs and Asante hubs, and we're experiencing the problem as well. It has to be some sort of weird interaction between the OS9 5.0 server and the OSX client software, which hopefully our friends at Dantz will be able to fix in fairly short order.

In case you have not seen it, this KnowledgeBase article describes a solution for a problem matching your description.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=836

Title: I keep getting an error 519 and pitond turns off

Text: When the "speed threshold" option in Retrospect 5.0 has been changed from "default" settings, Retrospect may have trouble communicating with Mac OS X Clients. This problem results in an error 519 followed by pitond being turned off.

To work around this problem, set the script speed threshold options to the default. This problem will be solved in a future version of Retrospect for Macintosh.

(The Speed Threshold is a setting for a Script, if set it shows in the text beside Options when you edit the script, and is one of the Client Execution settings. I don't think it applies to manual backups, so if the problem occurs for a manual/immediate backup, this is probably of no use to you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Dantz Techs,

Please add the keyword "client" to the knowledgebase article titled "I keep getting an error 519 and pitond turns off".

I would have found it much easier.

The title of this thread is what I was trying to search for.

Paul

Archived