Retrospect 16.6.0 forgot about my backups

I launched retrospect today (hadn't used it in several months) to see how my backups were doing, it wanted me to register the app!  That never happened before: I have been using it for years just fine.  So I entered my license key, and then it started up, but showed no activities or backups or media sets.  When I clicked on Sources in the sidebar, it showed all my attached drives but not my internal drive (which happens to be an SSD).  It's supposed to show my internal drive, right?When I clicked the Add button to add a source, the popup window was empty.  At the top it said "Sources from interface: Default" and "Use multicast" and it seems to spin forever.

I clicked the Backup button in the home screen and in the 1-Click Backup window, it shows my internal drive.  But when I select that and choose "Use 1-Click Backup" I get a red error "RefBackujpsetsContainer::CreateBackupset: volRef invalid".

At the top of my internal drive I have a Retrospect Catalogs folder that contains a .rbc file with the name of the media set that I was previously backing up to but its modification date is in October.

I checked my backup disk and it contains .rdb files from October.  So, there are backups there, albeit several months old.

How do I get my backups back?

• 1 year later...

First of all, yes, it should show the internal drive as a Source device by default, and any other storage devices that are connected. So something is wrong there.

Next, I'd check that you have successfully 'activated' the licence for Retrospect, by checking in preferences, and the licence section. If the licence number is there along with several entries for stuff that you've paid for. If that is the case, that rules out the possibility that the program is in demo mode.

[I starting to think there is something wrong with the storage drives...]

After that, do a test; setup some favourite folders, and a backup Script, using the favourites as the files/folders to backup, then select a new Media Set to backup to – onto whatever drive you see fit. Of course this is assuming you CAN see your internal drive as a Source to backup. If that works, then there is something wrong with one of your drives, as described by the error message "RefBackujpsetsContainer::CreateBackupset: volRef invalid".

If that fails, I suspect there is a drive error either the internal SSD or the drive you're backing up to. You need to check and repair each drive you're using. Then try launching Retrospect again, and see if it recognises your internal SSD drive as a Source, and then backs up the files properly.

Let me know what happens. Then we can narrow it down some more.