simple question on uninstaller for Mac Retrospect

Hello, sorry for a very simple question but I can't find the uninstaller for Retrospect 17 for Mac. It's not in the installer package and I looked around the retrospect website for over an hour and couldn't find.

Unfortunately, I have been using Retrospect for many years so sort of tied to it, but I would never recommend it to others at this point. There is a tremendous amount of troubleshooting and bugs with new releases and I'm not paying to troubleshoot their software.  I dread to think what the current retrospect engine is doing to my macOS, and have found that it's better to just have a dedicated mac to run it (single server) and not use the mac for other purposes . Sorry for the rant.

thanks

d37fc1fe-a25d-4df0-9b52-cb21971f1fde,

So are you now running Retrospect Mac 17.0.2.101 Single Server Edition on a separate dedicated Mac? Release 17.0.1.141 especially had a lot of bug fixes, as the cumulative Mac Release Notes  show.  Most of the bug fixes are for new Retrospect features, which you're probably not using.

Unless you're using the new features, I suspect your "troubleshooting and bugs" are mostly because of recent versions of macOS.  For about a week I was running Retrospect Mac 16.6 Engine and Console just fine on my principal-machine MacBook Pro, because the 2010 "cheesegrater" Mac Pro I use as a Desktop Edition "backup server" wouldn't boot (which I eventually fixed with a replacement of its PRAM battery).  However my MBP is booting macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and my Mac Pro is booting macOS 10.12 Sierra; neither version is recent.  I suggest you phone Tech Support—which no longer reads the Forums—at (888) 376-1078‬ ext. 3; if you upgraded to Retrospect 17 in the last 30 days, you're entitled to free personalized support.

If you don't have a dedicated Mac to use as a "backup server", you can buy an old one for a few hundred US$—although I inherited my 2010 Mac Pro.  OTOH if you can wait until the end of the year, I've read StorCentric management predictions backed up by titbits from Sales that Retrospect "Inc." is developing a variant of the Engine that will run on at least a beefed-up Drobo—which may turn out to be more expensive than an old Mac but can also be used as a NAS.  You might be able to use the NAS capabilities to replace macOS Server, saving several hundred US$ on your next release of Retrospect by allowing you to downgrade to Desktop Edition.

When you talk to Tech Support, you can ask them how to uninstall the Retrospect Mac Engine—since its location is apparently intentionally not in the Applications folder.  In the mean time, you can just turn off the Engine in System Preferences->Retrospect.  I just Quit the Console each time I boot my MBP, but I could uninstall that with https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ .

If OTOH you've actually decided to scrap Retrospect, send me a Private Message and I'll reply with the name of a "push" backup application that—up to its latest version with problems akin to Retrospect Mac 8—is well thought of.  Naming competitor apps in Forums posts annoys the head of R. T. S..

On 9/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, d37fc1fe-a25d-4df0-9b52-cb21971f1fde said:

Hello, sorry for a very simple question but I can't find the uninstaller for Retrospect 17 for Mac. It's not in the installer package and I looked around the retrospect website for over an hour and couldn't find.

Go to your Applications folder. Control-click the "Retrospect" app and select "Open Package Contents". Open the "Contents" directory, then "Resources". Scroll down to "Uninstall Retrospect".

If that sounds like too much trouble then launch the "Retrospect" app, select "Preferences..." from the "Retrospect" menu, select the "Console" pane (far right) and then "Export server installer and uninstaller" to the destination of your choice.

Thanks, Nigel Smith

I did what you said in your second paragraph directly above, since I wanted to uninstall Retrospect from my "client" MacBook Pro—where I had installed it per my second paragraph in this up-thread post.  After I replaced my Mac Pro's PRAM battery, I had used System Preferences->Retrospect (not System Preferences->Retrospect Client) to stop the Engine on my MBP—so I didn't want to start the Engine (->run scheduled scripts) to Uninstall itself.

So I did "Export server installer and uninstaller" to a thumb drive connected to my Mac Pro, then took the thumb drive over to to my MBP and ran the un-Zipped "Retrospect Support.app from there.  Before doing that I followed the procedure on pages 196-197 of the Retrospect Mac 17 User's Guide (which is on a different page in the Retrospect Mac 16 UG; I was uninstalling Retrospect Mac 16).  Note that what page 197 says is ~/Library/Preferences/com.Retrospect.plist has an extra "Retrospect" as part of the name.