MAC --> PC Compatability

Hi all

Up to a couple of months ago we had an OS 9 Mac server running retrospect on it. We then replaced the server with a Windows 2000 PC server and switched over the external backup drive to it. Retrospect is also running on the PC server. We now need to get back some files from an old tape from the MAC backup but when we put it in the drive connected to the PC server un-recognised comes up.

Is this normal, and is there any way to overcome this without shutting down the server, and switching the drive back!

Its a La Cie backup drive

The Mac version of Retrospect was: V4.3

The PC version of Retrospect is: V5.15

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Gerry Rigney

Retrospect canoot read tapes across our two platform (Mac/PC) products at this time. The main reason is the format we use for the Macintosh was created for the Macintosh file system (HFS) and was/is not extensible. It was very precisely engineered to work well with the Macintosh file system and architecture.

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Still not possible. Retrospect 8 (f/k/a/ Retrospect X) for Mac is in beta. From recent posts from Eric Ullman, Product Manager for Retrospect, the initial release will not be able to read older Mac Retrospect backups, but will be able to exchange backups with the Windows version. The ability to read backups made with older versions of Retrospect for Mac supposedly will be added some time after the initial release.

See the Mac Retrospect 8 beta forum for details.

Russ

I understood that. I can't speak for EMC, of course, because I'm just a user like you are.

That said, the Mac Retrospect 8 is based on the current Windows code base, with the old Mac code base being pretty much discarded.

See the following recent post on this subject from the Manager of Retrospect Tech Support:

No Windows Retrospect 8 announcement yet

There were several implied points to my prior post - sorry that it was too subtle:

(1) The first path to do what you are trying would be to run Retrospect 8 (or its beta) on the Mac machine, take that backup to the Windows Retrospect, it should (hopefully) be readable because EMC has announced that the backup set format is cross-platform (for the first time - yay!).

(2) The second path to do what you are trying to do would be to run Mac Retrospect 8 (at some future date after its initial release), read the Mac Retrospect 6.x backup set when such capability is provided, create a Retrospect 8 backup set that can be carried to the Windows Retrospect. There is no announced date for when Mac Retrospect 8 will be able to read older Mac Retrospect backup sets.

(3) The third path to do what you are trying to do would be to wait until Windows Retrospect 8 is announced and then released. There has not been any comment as to whether Windows Retrospect 8, when released, will be able to read Mac Retrospect backup sets older than Mac Retrospect 8.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, and, of course, I can't speak for EMC. But the initial part of my prior post said it all - still not possible at this time.

Russ

There were several implied points to my prior post - sorry that it was too subtle:

No, I caught them - I just wanted to make sure. =)

I don't have a mac computer. Specifically, this data was from a studio session. They updated to OS X and dumped the tape drive for DVDR. I'm trying to get my session files off the tapes but I'm on PC. I guess I'll try to find someone with a mac who can try getting it off -- or keep waiting for a new Windows version.

Thanks!

Archived