Rebuild issues v 16 Mac OSX

Hi,

I have some old AIT-1 and AIT-2 turbo tapes for which i am trying to rebuild the catalogue so I can see what is on the tapes

symptoms are that the rebuild goes on forever and seems to be looping around tape 1 over and over.

Possible issues are

1) The tapes appear as locked even though the switch is not switched to lock, this may or may nor be part of the problem

2) I cannot turn off "fast catalog rebuild" in the media set options.  When i turn it off and hit save it reverts to being on

3) I cannot bind the media set to a specific drive, i bind it and when I hit save it reverts to "any drive"

Thanks

Steve

bookcent,

Since your thread title says you are running "v16 Max OS X", you should repost in the "Retrospect 9 or higher for Macintosh" forum.  This is the "Windows Products - Retrospect Server, SBS and Multi Server" forum.

But anyway, make sure you are running the latest version of Retrospect Mac.  The Retrospect Mac cumulative Release Notes for version 16.0.1.105 say

Backup Sets: Fixed issue where rebuild did not work for certain sets (#8011)

It's been impossible to turn off "fast catalog rebuild" for a Disk Media Set for several releases; I just tried it.  The engineers  haven't eliminated the GUI option yet for Tape Media Sets, but it may not work.  All my current Media Sets are Disk.  If you upgraded to Retrospect Mac 16 in the last 45 days, I suggest you contact Retrospect Tech Support at (888) 376-1078.  Otherwise you might consider Removing the Catalog for your Tape Media Set, doing a Finder Delete of the catalog in the folder where it's stored, and creating a new Media Set with the same name and same Members.   Before doing that, are you sure your AIT tape drive still works, considering that Sony discontinued AIT tape drives in 2010?  Try creating a new Tape Media Set whose sole Member is on a blank AIT tape (assuming you have one), and doing a Backup to it.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Expanded last paragraph, copied this post to "Retrospect 9 or higher for Macintosh" forum