R16 really slow backups

tman1991

Ive been using Retrospect since at least version 7 or 8 and never had issues with speed, ive upgraded every version and now either something changed with windows or with retrospect.  I did a clean backup with R16.  I have approx 2 TB of data across 3 computers.  The main computer is running retrospect on M2 PCIe SSD drive with a tradition sata drive attached and the other 2 computers all have normal SSDs (Not PCIe SSDs).  I am backing up over a gigabit network to a Synology Diskstation basically using it as a NAS.  The last backup of 1.2TB of data took about 7 days.  That is clearly crazy.  It usually take maybe 12-14 hours.   Just as a reference, each of the 600MB files would take like 7+ minutes to write.

Any suggestions on what to try? Why is this taking forever to back things up?  Almost wondering if I should look at other solutions.

im using an \\computer\drive address like i have always done.. Did Win 10 change something to make this super slow?  but copying files the same works fine, so something is set wrong or something..  probably user error on something i changed, but would be nice to see if anyone else has this problem

I have not experienced that type of slowness with version 16.  They posted a point release on the download site on March 28th, make sure you're on version 16.0.1.103 or download it.  If the problem continues contact support, and let us know what happened.  Don't jump ship yet, you're probably right and this is some minor config problem.

tman1991,

As a Retrospect Mac administrator who casually follows this Retrospect Windows—Professional Forum, I'd guess that this is something Satya Nadella's people have inflicted upon Retrospect Inc. developers.  You hint in this post that this Retrospect problem coincided with your upgrading to Windows 10.

However it may be of interest that a number of administrators complained in this thread on the Retrospect Mac 9+ Forum about a slowdown in Retrospect Mac 15 backups of Macs whose drives were formatted using Apple's new APFS filesystem.  It turned out that the slowdown was in the scanning phase, for which they had been choosing the Instant Scan option.  It turned out that APFS messed up the FSEvents facility that Retrospect uses for Instant Scan on Macs, so Retrospect Inc. engineers eliminated Instant Scan—at least for all APFS Macs—in Retrospect 16.  The engineers were able to do this because a conversion to 64-bit APIs speeded up scanning without the Instant Scan option.  I'm wondering if Retrospect 16 included a similar API conversion for Retrospect's scanning (which uses the USN Journal if Instant Scan is chosen as an option) and backup of Windows drives, and if the engineers left some sort of bug in there.  OTOH your problem may be unrelated to this.

Are you using the Instant Scan feature for backing up your Windows drives?  If so, is the slowdown in the scanning phase?  Did you just upgrade to a new version of Windows 10 when the slowdown started?

Here's why and how to file a Support Request for a bug.  If you upgraded to Retrospect 16 within the past 30 days, you may be entitled to personalized help from Retrospect Tech Support.

I have been on Win 10 for years so this would only have to do with some patch they pushed.  The problem seemed to start I thought with R15 at least with one of the latest builds at least I thought, but brushed it aside as I saw the announcement for R16 so I thought I would just do a clean backup.

So this happened in the latest patch of R15 as far as I can tell and was pushed into the R16 code. (or this is a windows 10 monthly patch... but again not sure of which).

I can try the new R16 patch or at least make sure i have that. 

I will look into this Instant Scan option.   Not sure how this would have anything to do, as the write times seems to be really slow, as in Retrospect is doing something really slow to make it take forever. - Recall the 7 minutes of backup time per 600MB vs the 10-15 seconds to just copy the file.

And yes, nothing changed between my R15 and R16 installs, in fact its been the same config for many many versions.

Hi Tman, 

In terms of settings that effect performance in general, compression and encryption are the big ones. Also I would suggest rather than accessing the computers via SMB (correct me if I misunderstood what you meant by "I'm using an \\computer\drive "), you install the Retrospect client. At the very least test the difference to see if that is part of it. Is the performance slow when the local machine (that retrospect is installed on) is backing up and the remote machines, or just the remote machines? Was the performance consistently slow, or was it getting stuck in certain spots? 

Keep in mind that when backing up remotely, all data must travel from your remote destination, to the Retrospect server for processing, and then back out to the Synology. 

If you would like to rule out the newer version being the problem you can do so by installing an older version of Retrospect and running a backup to the same destination volume as you are currently. It would just take a bit of time to redo a test configuration, but at least you would feel confident it isn't the version difference, but something else in the environment. 

You can preserve your current configuration by making a copy of C:\ProgramData\Retrospect 

Then uninstall version 16 and re-install the version of Retrospect that you were not having problems with in the past from the archives . https://www.retrospect.com/support/archived 

While the older versions didn't support windows 10, you can install it and for basic file copies this test should be valid. 

If you don't have a license for the older version, support@retrospect.com can get you a trial. 

Once you have your key, Rename your current C:\ProgramData\Retrospect directory, Install the old version, enter the license key, and then setup a quick test backup. Create a new backup set, you can delete it (and the catalog) afterwards. 

Run the test backup and compare speeds. If the backup is much faster, take a screenshot of your settings and when you revert/upgrade back to version 16, you can doublecheck that they are the same. Before you draw any conclusions, make sure you run the same exact test backup on version 16 so that the source data during the backups remains consistent, otherwise the test isn't valuable. 

Good luck. 

-Jeff

Forgot to mention, when upgrading back to version 16 (if you decided to run the test I mentioned) just uninstall and reinstall v16, and restore your renamed C:\ProgramData\Retrospect folder back to it's original name replacing the temporary folder created during the install of the older version. 

Windows 10 updates have killed SMB1 updates before, so I think you've nailed it. It would be better to sort your Synology so it'll work with SMB2 or 3, both for speed and security. How you do that will depend on your DSM version, but you'll find instructions in "Option 1" here <https://www.synology.com/en-global/security/advisory/Precaution_for_a_PotentialSMBVulnerability>.

Unless you have a particular requirement to use SMB1?

I played around with SMB settings and so far I have to have SMB1 turned on.  I havent done what Nigel suggested yet, but found this thread https://community.synology.com/forum/7/post/121376 which suggested IP6 was the culprit.  Sure enough I turned IP6 off on my Synology and im back to at least sorta normal speeds.  So something happened with MS updates and SMB and MS updates and IP6.