Confusing message during rebuild catalog

haggis999

A scripted backup job today failed, with the following information being provided in the log file.

Grooming Backup Set Backup Set NAS1, optimizing for performance...
        [*] ---grxLogFlush: can't record updated databytes for fdex 4,942 (AA004942.rdb), error -1101 (file/directory not found)
        Groomed 21.4 MB from Backup Set Backup Set NAS1.
        Grooming Backup Set Backup Set NAS1 failed, error -1101 (file/directory not found)
        You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.
        See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.

I've no idea what the grxLogFlush reference means, but I went ahead and initiated a Tools/Repair Catalog/Recreate from disks operation. This thres up the following message.

There is already a known Backup Set named Backup Set NAS1. Recreate a new catalog File anyway, forgetting the existing one?

What exactly does this message mean? I find it very confusing. Given that I selected Backup Set NAS1 from the list presented by Retrospect, it seems a bit ridiculous to warn me that it already exists! Is there some risk that I will erase the current version of this backup set if I proceed?

The catalog file is like an index in a book. The book's chapters are your backups. Creating a new index (catalog file) will not change the book's (backup set's) contents.

Retrospect takes very good care of your backups. It never overwrites anything without giving a proper warning, like this one.

Hi Lennart,
Because that message contained a strange warning about the existence of a backup set I had only just selected, I was being extremely wary about whether I could trust the remaining words of that message to mean what I thought they meant. Thanks for your reassurance that it was safe to proceed. My catalogue is now being rebuilt.

I suspect that the message was simply trying to warn me that if I wished to keep a copy of the old catalogue file, then now was the time to give it another name. However, I found it confusing that the first sentence made a reference to the backup set itself rather than its catalogue file. IMHO, that message should be rewritten to make its meaning clearer, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

David

My catalogue rebuild completed successfully, but with a warning that a couple of rdb files had been skipped due to containing zero databytes. I was also given this warning:

After a Catalog rebuild, only the most recent backups for each source are stored in the Catalog.
        Older backups can be added by going to the Backup Sets' view Backups tab and clicking Retrieve

Despite several searches, I have failed to find this Retrieve option. Where is it located?

I am also having problems with this forum. Earlier today, when I wanted to raise this thread, it wouldn't let me log in with the password I had previously stored in my password manager. I duly reset the password, but after a period of inactivity I was automatically logged out. When I tried to log in again, it refused to accept my new password. After yet another password reset (using the same password as before) and after another automatically logging out, the forum once again refused to accept the correct password.

What is going on here? Before anyone asks, my Caps Lock key has been off throughout this period. 

39 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

My catalogue rebuild completed successfully, but with a warning that a couple of rdb files had been skipped due to containing zero databytes. I was also given this warning:

After a Catalog rebuild, only the most recent backups for each source are stored in the Catalog.
        Older backups can be added by going to the Backup Sets' view Backups tab and clicking Retrieve

Despite several searches, I have failed to find this Retrieve option. Where is it located?

2004575332_Skrmavbild2019-01-14kl_20_56_40.thumb.png.c32534eee1eca0fd926ff25495de8bb7.png

37 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

At a guess (by a Retrospect Mac administrator), that would be the Add Snapshot button—which is mentioned on page 203 of the Retrospect Windows 15 User's Guide.  You don't say what version of Retrospect Windows you are using. Disregard Lennart_T's post directly above; he's using Retrospect Mac.

1 hour ago, DavidHertzberg said:

At a guess (by a Retrospect Mac administrator), that would be the Add Snapshot button—which is mentioned on page 203 of the Retrospect Windows 15 User's Guide.  You don't say what version of Retrospect Windows you are using. Disregard Lennart_T's post directly above; he's using Retrospect Mac.

A bit of Forums searching has confirmed that my guess is correct.  About half-way down this 2009 post, rhwalker said:

You can also get Retrospect to show more snapshots than the "most recent" one by, for example:

Immediate > Restore, Restore files from a backup,

Select a backup set, Add Snapshot, Select a session, Retrieve

Look on page 149, or pages 202-203, of the Retrospect Windows 15 User's Guide.

For the fourth consecutive occasion today, I was forced to reset my password before I could log in to the forum!

Apologies for not making it clear that I was using Retrospect Professional V12.6.1.101 for Windows.

I have searched for Add Snapshot in the V12 Windows User Guide. There is no separate section with that name, though those words appear in the following sections. At first glance, none of these seem relevant.

• Immediate Operations/Restore
  • Immediate Operations/Transfer Snapshots 
  • Automated Operations/Scripted Restore
  • Automated Operations/Scripted Snapshot Transfer

The word Retrieve appears all over the place in the User Guide. I haven't yet had time to check them all out.

For the fifth time, I was forced to reset my forum password in order to make this post.

I have tried to initiate a restore from the backup set and took the option to Add Snapshot. This then displayed a list of 32 snapshots, ranging in date from Feb 2014 to today's date (14 Jan 2019). However, they all have a red dot in their icon and the Retrieve button is greyed out no matter which snapshot is selected. That doesn't look good.

Where do I go from here? 

haggis999,

First of all, I was wrong about Add Snapshot for Immediate Restore operations.  The button there is labeled More Snapshots, described and shown on page 103 of the Retrospect Windows 12 User's Guide.

Also see this 2016 post by me, in the Retrospect Mac 9+ Forum.  The P.S., following up on the end of the paragraph just above it, says the Retrieve button was not greyed-out for earlier backups from a Media Set (the Retrospect Mac term for Backup Set) which was not the latest one.  I never got an non-Hogwarts explanation, but—since the Retrospect Engine under the GUI is the same for both Mac and Windows variants—that may help you.

8 hours ago, DavidHertzberg said:

haggis999,

First of all, I was wrong about Add Snapshot for Immediate Restore operations.  The button there is labeled More Snapshots, described and shown on page 103 of the Retrospect Windows 12 User's Guide.

Also see this 2016 post by me, in the Retrospect Mac 9+ Forum.  The P.S., following up on the end of the paragraph just above it, says the Retrieve button was not greyed-out for earlier backups from a Media Set (the Retrospect Mac term for Backup Set) which was not the latest one.  I never got an non-Hogwarts explanation, but—since the Retrospect Engine under the GUI is the same for both Mac and Windows variants—that may help you.

When making my sixth successive password reset, so as to let me log in and make this post, I noticed a 'Contact Us' link on the reset request page. I have now sent a message about the rejection of valid passwords to what I assume is intergalactic HQ for the Retrospect website.

I chose to split my primary regular backups into three separate Backup Sets (documents, email and photos). Rightly or wrongly, I have never had more than one Backup Set for each of these tasks, so I have no earlier versions to access. The one that is causing the current difficulties is my documents backup, which is configured to use the default Retrospect grooming process.

Are these unretrievable files with the red dot icons the ones that have been erased by the grooming process?