Cloud: no snapshot found

I'm doing "copy backups" to the cloud (Wasabi) since the end of last year. I noticed on the invoices I got from Wasabi that there was no inbound traffic for months already, since around March. I have three scripts doing these copy backups, running daily and I found all of them terminated every time with the error "no snapshot found". As far as I can see, source, destination, schedule, selection, and options were correct. I couldn't make these scripts copy anything even when hitting "run".

Finally, I just deleted the scripts and recreated them with the exact same parameters and now it works. I don't know what went wrong and I was very slow to notice, but I'm posting this as a warning. Check your cloud "copy backups" to see if they're really running.

On a side note, it would be nice if the dashboard had some way of telling me when this happens. I couldn't see any indication of it. I don't think copy backup status is displayed there.

This isn't a question, it's meant as a heads-up and warning.

Martin

Edit: through Wasabi I discovered the backup scripts stopped working exactly on new year. The last backups were on Dec 31 on all three scripts.

Edited by insont
Added update on when it stopped working.

insont,

You left out two very important pieces of information: What version of Retrospect Mac were you using last year through about 7 March of 2018, and what version are you using now?  The bug might have been fixed in Retrospect 15, although there is no mention of it in the cumulative Release Notes.  OTOH you might have been using Retrospect Mac 11.0 or older, since Retrospect Mac 11.5 fixed bug #5082.  There is also the possibility that, since you are located in exotic Sweden, you had a non-ASCII character in your Wasabi cloud media set name, causing the problem fixed in bug #6096 for certain providers in Retrospect Mac 13.0.1.

David,

Since I'm on a maintenance contract, I used the latest version. Problem is, I don't remember when 15 came out, but I upgraded two or three weeks after it was released. Wasn't that around March something? So, v14 must have been running when backups stopped working. Right now I'm on 15.1.2.

If there is a bug related to the year rolling over, I guess we'll have to wait another five months to see if it happens again.

You mention 7 March 2018, any particular reason? Or do you refer to my initial "since around March"? As I added in my edit, the backups stopped working between December 31 and January 1, not March.

Martin

46 minutes ago, insont said:

David,

You mention 7 March 2018, any particular reason? Or do you refer to my initial "since around March"? As I added in my edit, the backups stopped working between December 31 and January 1, not March.

Martin

insont/Martin,

I mentioned 7 March 2018 because that's when I thought Retrospect 15 was announced (it was actually 6 March); x.0 major versions of Retrospect are generally announced in early March, with x.5 minor versions (which sometimes have added features) in early September.

Wasabi support–you fast-Internet transAtlantic frugal person (insert appropriate smiley here; Wasabi only has datacenters in the U.S.)—was added in Retrospect Mac 14.  Wasabi is supposed to be AWS-S3-compatible, but maybe there is an uncaught Retrospect bug related to using it.  Please do us all a favor and file a Support case—here's why and how.   Maybe you'll hear a great sound across the Atlantic, resulting from an engineer's slapping his/her forehead in Walnut Creek CA, by early September instead of early next year.