Display all tapes required at the beginging of a retrieval

I don't know if this has been suggested before as I am also still running with Retrospect 7.7 and I don't know if this function is available in newer versions but I am looking to update shortly.  One very annoying trait of my set-up with a R7 for Windows with a Quantum SL3 (dual 8 tape magazines) is that when i go to retrieve a folder from an 8 tape backup say, it only gives me the tape that is required ONE at a time!  This is very annoying and time consuming as I have to go down 10 flights of stairs to get the next tape every time one is finished.  Also, if I had a list of all the tapes I needed in one go, I could fill a magazine then go and get on with something else instead of plugging tapes into a the SL3 for an hour.  A big time saver if it could be implemented!

IMHO what ShadeTek wants is some version of what barup wanted in the OP of this thread

That would probably be because the tapes that are members of a particular Backup Set are not externally labeled as such in ShadeTek's installation.  If so, then he/she cannot do  "putting in all 8 tapes in one go".  There is a facility in Retrospect Mac that allows one to see all the members of a particular Backup Set (called a Media Set in Retrospect Mac), but I don't know if it works for tapes—which I haven't used since 2010—much less what the equivalent facility would be in Retrospect Windows.

If ShadeTek wants such an enhancement to Retrospect, here is why and how to submit a Support Case to request it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 12:23 AM, Lennart_T said:

What is stopping you from putting in all 8 tapes in one go? 

When I used Retrospect 7.7 and a tape loader, I could do just that and Retrospect would perform the restore unattended.

Because my loader takes 16 tapes and some of my jobs have a lot more than that.  I never have to totally retrieve everything from a backup set, only bits of it, hence the ability to select some of the tapes would be ideal. 

• 1 year later...