Snapshot transfer incomplete

Retrospect 12.6.1.101, Windows 7 Professional.

I have a tape backup set that I wished to transfer to new media.  However, the source tapes contain one particularly large snapshot which is no longer relevant.  So, instead of copying the entire backup set with the Backup Set Transfer function I used the Snapshot Transfer function.  I added all the snapshots except for the one I did not require to the source set catalog file, selected them all, and initiated the Snapshot Transfer operation.  The operation completed without errors.  34 snapshots were selected and transferred.  However, I noticed in the logfile that for some sources. while I had selected all available snapshots on the source tapes for that source, Retrospect decided that for each of these snapshots "No files need to be transferred".  Since there is no overlap in the files in these snapshots and those from the other sources on the source set, and since the destination was new media, something had to be wrong.

Here is an extract from the log:
         Pictures (10/26/2017 9:40 AM)
        No files need to be transferred
    5/8/2018 8:33:05 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:00:19 (00:00:11 idle/loading/preparing)

Pictures (9/16/2016 9:14 AM)
    5/8/2018 8:35:43 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:02:38 (00:02:30 idle/loading/preparing)

Pictures (7/28/2016 11:36 AM)
    5/8/2018 8:36:33 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:00:50 (00:00:42 idle/loading/preparing)

If I look at the destination set there are no "sessions" recorded for these transfers but there are snapshots.  However, if I try a restore, I can select any one of these snapshots, but it contains zero files.  The files are most definitely there on the source backup set and I can restore from them as expected, so they should have been transferred.

Clearly something is seriously wrong here.

8 minutes ago, tbr00 said:

Retrospect 12.6.1.101, Windows 7 Professional.

I have a tape backup set that I wished to transfer to new media.  However, the source tapes contain one particularly large snapshot which is no longer relevant.  So, instead of copying the entire backup set with the Backup Set Transfer function I used the Snapshot Transfer function.  I added all the snapshots except for the one I did not require to the source set catalog file, selected them all, and initiated the Snapshot Transfer operation.  The operation completed without errors.  34 snapshots were selected and transferred.  However, I noticed in the logfile that for some sources. while I had selected all available snapshots on the source tapes for that source, Retrospect decided that for each of these snapshots "No files need to be transferred".  Since there is no overlap in the files in these snapshots and those from the other sources on the source set, and since the destination was new media, something had to be wrong.

Here is an extract from the log:
         Pictures (10/26/2017 9:40 AM)
    5/8/2018 8:33:05 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:00:19 (00:00:11 idle/loading/preparing)

Pictures (9/16/2016 9:14 AM)
    5/8/2018 8:35:43 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:02:38 (00:02:30 idle/loading/preparing)

Pictures (7/28/2016 11:36 AM)
    5/8/2018 8:36:33 PM: Execution completed successfully        Duration: 00:00:50 (00:00:42 idle/loading/preparing)

If I look at the destination set there are no "sessions" recorded for these transfers but there are snapshots.  However, if I try a restore, I can select any one of these snapshots, but it contains zero files.  The files are most definitely there on the source backup set and I can restore from them as expected, so they should have been transferred.

Clearly something is seriously wrong here.

I agree that something looks wrong. I have no explanation or solution, just a possible workaround.

What kind of media are you transferring to? If it is a disk backup set, you could use a backup set transfer and then delete the unwanted snapshot to save space.

4 hours ago, tbr00 said:

Transfer was from LTO-3 tape to LTO-4 tape.

How many snapshots are we talking about? Ten? Hundred?

If it's around ten (rather than a hundred), you might want to try to transfer them one by one (with the exception of the one you don't want copied).

Apart from that, I'm out of ideas and you have two options:

1. Copy the whole thing

2. Contact Retrospect support. If you don't have a support contract, you can upgrade to the latest version (which includes support for a short period of time) or buy a support incident. https://www.retrospect.com/au/support/phone

As mentioned in the original post I was transferring 34 snapshots.   I am now pretty much doing as you suggest, except starting with a full backup from disk of those partitions that are still online.  Now that's complete I am about to manually add the remaining snapshots I need.

Given there was no error reported in the original attempt, there has to be a bug.  Either an error did happen, but it was not reported, or, it simply didn't function as advertised.  My money is on the latter.

I figured it out - and it's a little embarrassing.  When I came to transfer manually the additional snapshots I discovered that the Snapshot Transfer window somehow had a selector set, presumably from some long past activity.  That selector said to exclude files with "volume name matches c".  Now at first sight I though that was harmless because nothing had originally come from C:, but of course it's not a complete match, but matches anything containing the string "c".  Sure enough all the sources which transferred zero files contained the letter c in the volume name.   With that selector deleted, things are looking up.

Thanks Lennart_T for the help.