Error scanning network 1116

I am having problems trying to browse my network to add sources to back up. When i go into manage scripts, i usually add a source from my network by opening my windows network and selecting the shares to be backed up.

For some reason when i select to browse my windows network i now get 'Error scanning network, error 1116 (can't access network volume)'. This seems odd as i can browse to those shares from anywhere on the network no problem i only have this problem within retrospect.

I also run retrospect on another domain and i don't get this issue. Also the script i am adding sources to already has some shares set to backup weekly and this runs fine i just cant add any more?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Running retrospect server v11

Windows server 2012 r2 OS

Retrospect error.png

Here's one post from 2010 that provides an answer, which may or may not be applicable.

Here's another post from 2003, by the head of Retrospect Tech Support; it too may or may not be applicable, but the post below it in that thread by AmyJ looks like she had an answer with a more-general explanation.

Another post from 2008 points to a permission problem with a NAS drive; it links to a Knowledge Base article that was on the old Dantz website whose links now go to a British glove company, but I think I've found an updated—or recreated—version.

The 2016 thread that continues from this post includes posts by the very-knowledgeable Scillonian and Lennart_T.  If I were ITRESULT, I'd look there first.

And how, ITRESULT may ask, did I find all these posts (and 89 others) on error -1116?  The answer is that I used the Forum's Search capability, starting by clicking the word "Search" in the stretched-out-oval box with the magnifying-glass icon at the upper-right of the page—below the user's "handle".  That popped-out a drop-down menu labeled "All Content", from which I selected the "Advanced Search" item.  I then typed "-1116", including surrounding quotes to avoid getting posts that included the number 1116, into the "Search Term" box to the right of the magnifying-glass icon at the top of the page selecting that item gave me.  Next I clicked the "Search Content" button at the lower-right of the page.  That gave me a multi-page list of posts; I clicked the thread title at the top of any list item whose excerpted content  sounded interesting.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Clarification to second paragraph; put in link to what I think is KB article referred to in third paragraph

Hi David Hertzburg,

Yes I have already extensively searched the forum and can't find anything to resolve this particular issue. Its difficult to nail down the problem when the error is so generic. I am running this particular instance of Retrospect on a server that is also a domain controller. Would that potentially cause issues within Retrospect? I know it tends to be a no go for a lot of software.

Can the retrospect server be run on a virtual machine? That may be my easiest current option if the domain controller is best left alone.

On 13/02/2018 at 11:34 AM, ITRESULT said:

Can the retrospect server be run on a virtual machine? That may be my easiest current option if the domain controller is best left alone.

Retrospect will run successfully in a virtual machine. For many years I successfully ran Retrospect in a VMware Workstation virtual machine.

On 13/02/2018 at 11:34 AM, ITRESULT said:

Yes I have already extensively searched the forum and can't find anything to resolve this particular issue. Its difficult to nail down the problem when the error is so generic.

Do you have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on your network?

I have come across instances where you can browse the local network over IPv6 but not over IPv4. This is not a problem for applications that are IPv6 aware but for applications that are IPv4 only, such as Retrospect, any attempt to browse the network from that application will fail.

Personally I gave up on trying to browse the 'Microsoft Windows Network' years ago because it so very rarely worked and instead enter the UNC for the desired Source using the 'Advanced...' button.