Jump to content

Retrospect 6.0 won't backup incrementally


Recommended Posts

Hello

 

I'm running retrospect 6.0.193 on an iBook G3 700 with OS X.3.5. I backup to DVD-R's with an external Pioneer 107 drive. Retrospect refses to perform incremntal backups, even though Media Action is set to "Normal". Latest case: I started a new backup set three weeks ago. Before backing up, I restored permissions. I then backed up - 5.6GB. One week ago, I tried to do an immediate incremental backup, and it wanted to burn 5.6BGB again. Why might it do this? I searched Google, Google groups and the Dantz forums and found no answer. Any ideas?

 

Thanks

 

Jeff Spivack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

One week ago, I tried to do an immediate incremental backup, and it wanted to burn 5.6BGB again.

 


 

Before allowing Retrospect to begin to backup, compare some of the files it's selected for backup against the ones already in the Backup Set's catalog.

 

First, setup an Immediate backup with the same Source and Destination. Then click on Preview to get a Browser window with checked files.

 

Next, open:

Report->Contents->select a Snapshot->Browse

and find some files in this browser that are also checked in the other Browser window.

 

Select each and choose Get Info (Command+I) and compare the information you see.

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just a couple more tidbits:

the "options" section of the backup window says the following are on:

- verification on

- allow duplicate files in backup set

- match only same files

- don't backup filevault sparseimages [i don't use filevault]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

Before allowing Retrospect to begin to backup, compare some of the files it's selected for backup against the ones already in the Backup Set's catalog.

 


OK, I tried that. I checked a few files I know haven't changed in ages. In all cases, both Info windows report exactly the same thing for :

Label

Kind

Location

Created (many months/years ago)

Modified (also many months/years ago)

UNIX owner/group/mode

 

For Size, they report the same number of bytes but not the same number of KB. i assume that's because the backup has higher granularity and therefore the files take up less space.

 

For Flags, the "immediate backup" window lists Marked and Matched while the Snapshot info window lists nothing.

 

And the Snapshot info window lists the date of last backup, while the "immediate backup" info window makes no mention of it.

 

Thanks for any advice you may have...

 

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

the "options" section of the backup window says the following are on:

- verification on

- allow duplicate files in backup set

- match only same files

- don't backup filevault sparseimages
[i don't use filevault]

 


 

Retrospect's default behavior for a Normal backup is to copy only those files that are either not already in the Backup Set (new), or files that have already been copied but have not changed (matched).

 

It's interesting that you have changed the preferences to something other then the default, and are then curious as to why the program's behavior is not what you expect.

 

Although your wording is imprecise (there is no "allow duplicate files in backup set" setting that can be "on"), if you have de-selected Matching->"Don't add duplicates to backup set" then you'll get exactly the behavior you're seeing.

 

Click on the "Use Default" button at the bottom of the Matching option panel and try the backup again.

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

Although your wording is imprecise (there is no "allow duplicate files in backup set" setting that can be "on"), if you have de-selected Matching->"Don't add duplicates to backup set" then you'll get exactly the behavior you're seeing.

 


 

I was quoting the "immediate backup" window, not the "Immediate Backup: Options" dialog box. The wording is different.

 

I don't recall having changed the options, but then again I find retrospect to be one of the least intuituve/clear software packages I use (and I'm not a n00b). [Case in point - the difference in wording for the above option in the two different dialog boxes.] Your explanation makes perfect sense, and I will try it out.

 

Thanks

 

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have the same problem. We're using the newest Retrospect server software on a G3 with HP ultrium 200GB tapes. The daily backup sets work fine when mounting the shares but the backup server which backs up clients are doing a full backup every time. It worked fine before and I suspect the problem came with an upgrade. I have tried the few things that can be done in the script but it still does full backup. Any ideas? Can it be a problem with the client software?

 

- Asgeir Mickelson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As described above, while editing the script, be sure that Options : Matching is set to the default configuration ("Match source files to catalog" and "Don't add duplicates to backup set.")

 

Also, if you are backing up Windows clients, they use a different means of tracking date and time. With the switch from DST, all files will appear to have a different modification time by one hour, and so will be flagged for backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

Quote:

Although your wording is imprecise (there is no "allow duplicate files in backup set" setting that can be "on"), if you have de-selected Matching->"Don't add duplicates to backup set" then you'll get exactly the behavior you're seeing.

 


 

Your explanation makes perfect sense, and I will try it out.

 


 

and it worked. Thanks Dave!

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Asgeir wrote:

Quote:

The daily backup sets work fine when mounting the shares but the backup server which backs up clients are doing a full backup every time. It worked fine before and I suspect the problem came with an upgrade. I have tried the few things that can be done in the script but it still does full backup. Any ideas? Can it be a problem with the client software?

 


 

 

If you using client software there is no need to mount shares. And if you mount shares, you don't need client software.

 

Can you describe more accurately what you're doing?

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...