CD-R Multi-session support?

When using CD-R media, is multi-session writing supported for incremental backups? i.e., can I use the same CD-R repeatedly each day for incremental backups, or do I need to use a CD-RW?

Can the initial backup be done to CD-R, and the incremental backups to the same set be done to CD-RW?

Yes, you can mix and match CDR/CDRWs in a CD set. no problem.

But remember you can't erase CDRs so if you ever go to do a recycle, this won't work.

Yes, multi-session. Retrospect will backup to the cd and continue to append each incremental backup to the same cd until it's full. Then it will prompt for the next one.

Actually, I am still a bit confused.

I put in a new CD to run an incremental backup, and was surprised to see that Retrospect asked me to insert disk 10 (the last disk) from my initial backup, and proceded to write the incremental backup on that last disk.

I had wanted to keep the incremental data on a separate CD, but it would not let me.

pl

Retrospect is designed to continue writing to the same CD on which it last wrote. In this way, you do not waste unused space on the media. This functionality also helps control the quantity of backup set media you go through. If you were to use a new CD for each backup, regardless of whether you only changed 2 meg of information, you can see how the number of CD's you ultimately use will begin to snowball.

That being said, if you would like to use a new member for each backup, you can go to Special > Preferences > Media Request > Automatically skip to blank media. Retrospect will use a blank CD when the last member is not available. This functionality is not available in the Express Edition. If you wish to go to a blank CD in Express, you will need to configure this manually each time under Configure > Backup Sets > Properties (on the set you wish to use) > Options > Action > Skip.

Archived