Client backup not transferring any files

I've been trying to setup a client backup. Everything seems to be configured correctly and the backup starts and excecutes, but files are transferred.

example log:

Quote:

+ Normal backup using Client Backup at 25/10/2004 7:52 pm

To backup set Individual Backups…

- 25/10/2004 7:52:57 pm: Copying Hard Drive on Tony’s Computer…

25/10/2004 7:52:57 pm: Connected to Tony’s Computer

* Separating file backup set:

Data file name: Individual Backups

Catalog file name: Individual Backups.cat

25/10/2004 7:52:57 pm: No files need to be copied.

25/10/2004 7:56:47 pm: Execution completed successfully.

Duration: 00:03:50 (00:03:49 idle/loading/preparing)

I'm using direct path names, which may be where the problem lies. Example selection:

Quote:

path name of folder exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Application Support/, selecting all enclosed items

Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Application Support/

(the volume is called "Hard Drive")

Any ideas?

Quote:

Still can't find the "check selector" option. Can someone give me a pointer?

The "Selector" menu appears when either an Immediate Backup's "Selecting" button has been pressed, or when you visit "Special->Selectors" and open any of the saved selectors there.

"Check Selector..." is the second (and last) entry. Command+T

Dave

Thanks Dave. The Check Selector command only confirms what I already knew, that my backup isn't selecting any files. Unfortunately it gives no hint as to what is actually wrong with the selectors, which, by the way, is the following:

Quote:

Include files matching

path name exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Application Support/

and path name exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Calendars/

and path name exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Keychains/

and path name exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Mail/

and path name exactly matches Hard Drive/Users/Tony/Library/Preferences/

and exclude nothing

I've noticed a rather critical typo in my first post (in case readers are confused): in my first sentence I wrote "but files are transferred" when I should have written ""but no files are transferred".

Hey while I've got your ear... I have about 10 workstations I need to set this script up for (for each user account on each computer). It would be quite useful to have just one script that does what the above script does and doesn't require everyone's user account names.

I assume this would mean using the exclude selector quite extensively. Any suggestions on a script?

Rather than using complex selectors tailored to each client, I'd be inclined to use a more generic selector and then use the Configure : Volumes window to define specific folders as subvolumes for each user. After doing this, you would need to go to the Configure : Client : Configure window for each client, change the backup setting at the General tab from "Client Desktop" to "Selected Volumes," and then highlight only the desired subvolumes at the Volumes tab.

The main reason for taking either route is that you're trying to save space on the backup media, or save time in performing the backups. However, unless you're really using a lot more of either than you can afford, I'd consider backing up a higher-level enclosing folder, even if that includes more files than you need. The fewer subvolumes you need to define, or the less complex you need to make your selector, the easier it will be for you.

Archived