Questions about transferring from one drive to another

Quiet Riot

Here's the thing,

I have the Windows 7 OEM Ultimate 64 bit; that came preinstalled with my HPE-570t when I bought it. HP partitioned my HDD of 1.5 GB into 2 parts "C", (where the OS is, and all my installed programs) and "D" where the "System Recovery" is located.So, should I ever have to reinstall Windows 7, I could do it from Drive D.Both parthtions together, (over the course of five years,) only come to 307GB. :)

What I'd like to know is, after I back up the system, would there be a way to put the Windows 7 OS on a 500GB SSD, seeing as how, there's only 307GB's of information on the entire disk. Is that something that Retrospect 7.7 can do?

Is there any truth to the information I've heard that, you only only put your most frequently used programs on the SSD? And the rest, can boot from the mechanical HDD.

I do have an External Drive "M" with 1.52GB free if that helps you in putting all the pieces together, as to how to get the info from one drive from another.

Thanks in advance,

Quiet Riot