Grooming now working? Still have lots of backups

Version 13.0.1 (106)

I have a Media Set with 'Groom to keep this number of backups: 2' set.

But the Backups tab shows six. See attached screenshot.

I Groomed the media set, but still have 6 backups, not 2.

The Groom complete successfully - no errors:

+ Executing Grooming at 29/07/2016, 1:42:38 PM (Activity Thread 1)
Grooming Backup Set PP Backup, optimizing for storage...
29/07/2016 1:42:40 PM: Execution completed successfully

I feel I'm missing something or something has got corrupted.

Any ideas?

Thanks, James.

post-21788-0-50762900-1469764502_thumb.png

The setting means you (should) have two backups of each source.

Your screenshot indicates you have at least two sources. The MBP has two backups, so that is OK.

But do you have you have only one computer named "Peter Psarros' Computer"? Or is that just part of the name, so you have "Peter Psarros' Computer A" and "Peter Psarros' Computer B"?

And does it only have one disk named "Macintosh HD"? If you at one time replaced or reformatted "Macintosh HD" to another "Macintosh HD", then Retrospect sees them as two separate disks. Likewise, if you have re-partitioned the volume to a new partition size, then Retrospect sees them as two separate volumes.

Two of the backups are back in November last year and the other two are in July this year, so I would expect something happened in late November or early December with "Peter Psarros' Computer" and its "Macintosh HD"

Edited by Lennart Thelander

It looks like he got the new computer in the middle of August.

And then probably reformatted the new computer in the end of November.

So 3 different volumes times 2 backups each is 6 backups.

If the Mac version of Retrospect was as feature rich as the Windows version, you could easily just "Forget" the old backups.

But that is not the case so you have to do a workaround.

Create a new Media Set.

Copy/transfer the last two backups to the temporary Media set.

Recycle the old Media set.

Copy/transfer the two backups back to the original Media set.

I do hope these two backup are not the only ones you have. :)

Unlock your media set -- if it's locked.   Then go to "Past Backups" in the console.  You'll see all the backups for your media set (well, I guess it depends on your groom settings).

You can select a past backup and click "Remove".   Then when you groom the media set, it will groom out that specific backup.

My media sets are configured to keep X backups (rather than the "Defined Policy"), so YMMV on what you see in "Past Backups", I guess...

Thanks Maser. The Unlock icon is greyed out, so I suppose it is already unlocked.

Never noticed the 'Past Backups' section - I just assumed that it could be done from the list of backup in the Media Sets section.

Removing 24 backups now (taking a long time!); will then groom the media sets.

Thanks for your help Maser & Lennart.

James.

I now have a dialog asking to confirm removal of the backups. I have already clicked on Remove and it did the spinning icon as if it was working. It was like this for ages. Then I noticed that it now has 'MacRequestor:...remote endpoint' in red above the buttons. See attached screenshot.

Clicking on Remove button doesn't seem to do anything. I am stuck at this dialog.

The Console app also lost connection to the server, as I saw it doing the Sync thing.

James.

post-21788-0-13770500-1470358893_thumb.png

Yeah, I never manually groomed immediately after removing past backups.   I have monthly groom scripts that run, so if I have a need to manually groom out a specific backup, then I just remove the backup and wait for the script to take care of the grooming.

*Sometimes* (but usually not), there is an error in grooming that requires a catalog rebuild after the groom.  That's fairly rare, though.

Unlock your media set -- if it's locked.   Then go to "Past Backups" in the console.  You'll see all the backups for your media set (well, I guess it depends on your groom settings).

You can select a past backup and click "Remove".   Then when you groom the media set, it will groom out that specific backup.

My media sets are configured to keep X backups (rather than the "Defined Policy"), so YMMV on what you see in "Past Backups", I guess...

Is that new for version 13?